Bank Leverage Regulation and Macroeconomic Dynamics
AbstractThis paper assesses the merits of countercyclical bank balance sheet regulation for the stabilization of financial and economic cycles and examines its interaction with monetary policy. The framework used is a dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model with banks and bank capital, in which bank capital solves an asymmetric information problem between banks and their creditors. In this economy, the lending decisions of individual banks affect the riskiness of the whole banking sector, though banks do not internalize this impact. Regulation, in the form of a constraint on bank leverage, can mitigate the impact of this externality by inducing banks to alter the intensity of their monitoring efforts. We find that countercyclical bank leverage regulation can have desirable stabilization properties, particularly when financial shocks are an important source of economic fluctuations. However, the appropriate contribution of countercyclical capital requirements to stabilization after a technology shock depends on the size of the externality and on the conduct of the monetary authority.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 11-32.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Monetary policy framework; Transmission of monetary policy; Financial institutions; Financial system regulation and policies; Economic models;
Other versions of this item:
- Ian Christensen & Césaire Meh & Kevin Moran, 2011. "Bank Leverage Regulation and Macroeconomic Dynamics," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-76, CIRANO.
- Ian Christensen & Césaire Meh & Kevin Moran, 2011. "Bank Leverage Regulation and Macroeconomic Dynamics," Cahiers de recherche 1140, CIRPEE.
- Kevin Moran & Cesaire A. Meh & Ian Christensen, 2010. "Bank Leverage Regulation and Macroeconomic Dynamics," 2010 Meeting Papers 757, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-01-03 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-01-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2012-01-03 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2012-01-03 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-01-03 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Terrones & M. Ayhan Kose & Stijn Claessens, 2008.
"What Happens During Recessions, Crunches, and Busts?,"
IMF Working Papers
08/274, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens & M. Ayhan Kose & Marco E. Terrones, 2009. "What happens during recessions, crunches and busts?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 24, pages 653-700, October.
- Claessens, Stijn & Kose, Ayhan & Terrones, Marco E., 2008. "What Happens During Recessions, Crunches and Busts?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," NBER Working Papers 6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meh, Césaire A. & Moran, Kevin, 2010.
"The role of bank capital in the propagation of shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 555-576, March.
- Césaire Meh & Kevin Moran, 2008. "The Role of Bank Capital in the Propagation of Shocks," Working Papers 08-36, Bank of Canada.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1998.
"Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
6442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Monetary Policy Rules And Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence And Some Theory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(1), pages 147-180, February.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1998. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and some Theory," Working Papers 98-01, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1998. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 1908, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "Monetary policy rules and macroeconomic stability: Evidence and some theory," Economics Working Papers 350, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 1999.
- Angelini, Paolo & Neri, Stefano & Panetta, Fabio, 2012.
"Monetary and macroprudential policies,"
Working Paper Series
1449, European Central Bank.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Deniz Igan, 2011. "Policies for Macrofinancial Stability: Options to Deal with Real Estate Booms," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/02, International Monetary Fund.
- Francisco Covas & Shigeru Fujita, 2010. "Procyclicality of Capital Requirements in a General Equilibrium Model of Liquidity Dependence," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(34), pages 137-173, December.
- Andrew Levin & Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson, 1999.
"Optimal Monetary Policy with Staggered Wage and Price Contracts,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
1151, Society for Computational Economics.
- Erceg, Christopher J. & Henderson, Dale W. & Levin, Andrew T., 2000. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-313, October.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson & Andrew T. Levin, 1999. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," International Finance Discussion Papers 640, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno & Lawrence J. Christiano, 2010.
"Financial Factors in Economic Fluctuations,"
2010 Meeting Papers
141, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann, 2009. "Assessing the risk of banking crises - revisited," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 1996.
"Agency costs, net worth, and business fluctuations: a computable general equilibrium analysis,"
9602, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carlstrom, Charles T & Fuerst, Timothy S, 1997. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 893-910, December.
- Claudio Borio, 2011.
"Rediscovering the macroeconomic roots of financial stability policy: journey, challenges and a way forward,"
BIS Working Papers
354, Bank for International Settlements.
- Claudio Borio, 2011. "Rediscovering the Macroeconomic Roots of Financial Stability Policy: Journey, Challenges, and a Way Forward," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 87-117, December.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cúrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011.
"BASEL III: long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations,"
485, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Angelini, P. & Clerc, L. & Cúrdia, V. & Gambacorta, L. & Gerali, A. & Locarno, A. & Motto, R. & Roeger, W. & Van den Heuvel, S. & Vlcek, J., 2011. "BASEL III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," Working papers 323, Banque de France.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cúrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011. "BASEL III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," BIS Working Papers 338, Bank for International Settlements.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco CÃºrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011. "Basel III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 87, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Tommaso Trani, 2012. "Countercyclical Capital Regulation and Bank Ownership Structure," IHEID Working Papers 14-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Mimir Yasin & Sunel Enes & Taşkın Temel, 2013.
"Required reserves as a credit policy tool,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 58, June.
- Mimir, Yasin & Sunel, Enes & Taskin, Temel, 2012. "Required reserves as a credit policy tool," MPRA Paper 39613, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yasin Mimir & Enes Sunel & Temel Taskin, 2012. "Required Reserves as a Credit Policy Tool," Working Papers 1224, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Tobias Adrian, 2012. "Discussion of “An Integrated Framework for Multiple Financial Regulations”," Staff Reports 583, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Dieter Gramlich & Mikhail V. Oet & Stephen J. Ong, 2013. "Policy in adaptive financial markets—the use of systemic risk early warning tools," Working Paper 1309, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Martin Berka & Christian Zimmermann, 2012.
"Basel Accord and Financial Intermediation: The Impact of Policy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3724, CESifo Group Munich.
- Martin Berka & Christian Zimmermann, 2011. "Basel Accord and financial intermediation: the impact of policy," Working Papers 2011-042, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Martin Berka & Christian Zimmermann, 2012. "Basel Accord and Financial Intermediation: The Impact of Policy," Working Paper Series 04_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Fabrice Collard & Harris Dellas & Behzad Diba & Olivier Loisel, 2012.
"Optimal Monetary and Prudential Policies,"
2012-34, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Axel A. Weber, 2011. "Challenges for monetary policy in the European Monetary Union," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue July, pages 235-242.
- Tobias Adrian & Daniel Covitz & Nellie J. Liang, 2013.
"Financial stability monitoring,"
601, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2012. "Operationalising the selection and application of macroprudential instruments," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 48.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.