Assessing and Valuing the Non-Linear Structure of Hedge Fund Returns
AbstractSeveral studies have put forward the non-linear structure and option-like features of returns associated with hedge fund strategies. The authors provide a statistical methodology to test for such non-linear features with the returns on any benchmark portfolio. They estimate the portfolio of options that best approximates the returns of a given hedge fund, account for this search in the statistical testing of the contingent claim features, and test whether the identified non-linear features have a positive value. The authors find that not all categories of funds exhibit significant non-linearities, and that only a few strategies as a group provide significant value to investors. Individual funds may still provide value in an otherwise poorly performing category.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 06-31.
Length: 71 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Econometric and statistical methods; Financial institutions;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Diez De Los Rios & René Garcia, 2011. "Assessing and valuing the nonlinear structure of hedge fund returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 193-212, March.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2006-09-16 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FIN-2006-09-16 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-09-16 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Mark Mitchell, 2001. "Characteristics of Risk and Return in Risk Arbitrage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2135-2175, December.
- Henriksson, Roy D, 1984. "Market Timing and Mutual Fund Performance: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 73-96, January.
- Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. I. An Equilibrium Theory of Value for Market Forecasts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 363-406, July.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2009. "Are "Market Neutral" Hedge Funds Really Market Neutral?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(7), pages 2295-2330, July.
- Nicholas Chan & Mila Getmansky & Shane M. Haas & Andrew W. Lo, 2005.
"Systemic Risk and Hedge Funds,"
NBER Working Papers
11200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 2001. "The Risk in Hedge Fund Strategies: Theory and Evidence from Trend Followers," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 313-41.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. " Differential Information and Performance Measurement Using a Security Market Line," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 383-99, June.
- Vikas Agarwal, 2004. "Risks and Portfolio Decisions Involving Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 63-98.
- Posthuma, Nolke & Sluis, Pieter Jelle van der, 2003. "A Reality Check on Hedge Funds Returns," Serie Research Memoranda 0017, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan, 1993.
"A contingent claim approach to performance evaluation,"
159, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, L. R. & Jagannathan, R., 1994. "A contingent claim approach to performance evaluation," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 133-160, January.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Admati, Anat R, et al, 1986. " On Timing and Selectivity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 715-30, July.
- Javier Mencía, 2010. "Testing non-linear dependence in the hedge fund industry," Banco de EspaÃÂ±a Working Papers 1007, Banco de EspaÃ±a.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios & René Garcia, 2011. "The option CAPM and the performance of hedge funds," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 137-167, July.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/9108 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roncalli, Thierry & Weisang, Guillaume, 2008.
"Tracking problems, hedge fund replication and alternative beta,"
37358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roncalli, Thierry & Weisang, Guillaume, 2011. "Tracking Problems, Hedge Fund Replication, and Alternative Beta," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 31, pages 19-29.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.