Les effets réels du cours des actions sur la consommation
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 00-21.
Length: 49 pages Abstract: During the nineties, stock prices increased remarkably. The number of households owning stocks also rose considerably. If stock market wealth has an effect on consumers' decisions, then the rise in equity prices could have contributed to the growth in consumption in recent years. This paper examines the wealth effect resulting from an increase in the value of equity on aggregate consumption. To estimate this relationship, an error correction model has been chosen. Using Canadian data for the sample period first quarter of 1965 to the fourth quarter of 1998, the results show that fluctuations in equity prices have a statistically significant long-run effect on consumption (about 3 per cent of the asset prices change). Short-term variations seem to accelerate the adjustment of household spending to its long-term equilibrium.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Equity prices; stocks;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lise Pichette, 2004.
"Are Wealth Effects Important for Canada,"
Bank of Canada Review,
Bank of Canada, vol. 2004(Spring), pages 29-35.
- Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Sousa, Ricardo M. & Vansteenkiste, Isabel, 2009.
"Wealth effects in emerging market economies,"
Working Paper Series
1000, European Central Bank.
- Ricardo M. Sousa, 2003. "Property of stocks and wealth effects on consumption," NIPE Working Papers 2/2003, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Ricardo M. Sousa, 2009.
"Wealth Effetcs on Consumption: Evidence from the euro area,"
NIPE Working Papers
12/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Sousa, Ricardo M., 2009. "Wealth effects on consumption: evidence from the euro area," Working Paper Series 1050, European Central Bank.
- Yanick Desnoyers, 2001. "L'effet de la richesse sur la consommation aux États-Unis," Working Papers 01-14, Bank of Canada.
- Luís Pacheco & José Barata, 2005.
"Residential and Stock Market Effects on Consumption across Europe,"
European Journal of Housing Policy,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 255-278, December.
- Luis Miguel Pacheco & Jose Martins Barata, 2005. "Residential and Stock Market Effects on Consumption across Europe," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 255-278.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.