The Canadian Banking System
AbstractThis paper examines the major changes in the Canadian banking system since the Second World War, with special attention paid to the differences between Canadian and US developments over this period. An important difference between the countries is the nationwide branch banking arrangements in Canada. Two other differences are a result of regulatory dimensions of the Canadian scene: periodic reassessment and updating of banking legislation as a legislative requirement; and the absence of ceilings on interest rates on deposits or, since 1967, on loans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Technical Reports with number 81.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
CANADA ; BANKS ; LEGISLATION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freedman, C. & Goodlet, C., 1998. "The Financial Services Sector: Past Changes and Future Prospects," Technical Reports 82, Bank of Canada.
- Nathalie Girouard & Sveinbjörn Blöndal, 2001. "House Prices and Economic Activity," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 279, OECD Publishing.
- Prudence Serju, 2007. "Estimating Potential Output for Jamaica: a Structural VAR Approach," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 1-22, January-J.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Josep M. Vilarrubia, 2007. "The Laffer Curve of Macroeconomic Volatility and Growth: Can it be Explained by the Different Nature of Crises?," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 43-60, January-J.
- Mette Asmild & Joseph Paradi & Vanita Aggarwall & Claire Schaffnit, 2004. "Combining DEA Window Analysis with the Malmquist Index Approach in a Study of the Canadian Banking Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 67-89, January.
- Faruk Balli & Syed Basher & Rosmy Jean Louis, 2012.
"Channels of risk-sharing among Canadian provinces: 1961–2006,"
Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 763-787, October.
- Balli, Faruk & Basher, Syed Abul & Jean Louis, Rosmy, 2011. "Channels of risk-sharing among Canadian provinces: 1961--2006," MPRA Paper 30876, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Basher, Syed A. & Balli, Faruk & Louis, Rosmy, 2009. "Channels of risk-sharing among Canadian provinces: 1961–2006," MPRA Paper 17300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael D. Bordo & Angela Redish & Hugh Rockoff, 2011. "Why didn’t Canada have a banking crisis in 2008 (or in 1930, or 1907, or ...)?," NBER Working Papers 17312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jason Allen & Walter Engert & Ying Liu, 2006. "Are Canadian Banks Efficient? A Canada--U.S. Comparison," Working Papers 06-33, Bank of Canada.
- Jason Allen & Walter Engert & Ying Liu, 2007. "A Comparison of Canadian and US Universal Banks: Efficiency, Productivity, and the Role of Technology," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 61-96, January-J.
- Fortin, Mario & Leclerc, André & Thivierge, Claude, 2000. "Économies d’échelle et de gamme dans les Caisses Desjardins," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 76(3), pages 393-421, septembre.
- Christian Calmès, 2004.
"Regulatory Changes and Financial Structure: The Case of Canada,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(I), pages 1-35, March.
- Christian Calmès, 2004. "Regulatory Changes and Financial Structure: The Case of Canada," Working Papers 04-26, Bank of Canada.
- Prosper F. Bangwayo-Skeete & Ryan W. Skeete, 2007. "Regional Integration and Elasticities of Export Demand in Barbados," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 23-41, January-J.
- John Kiff, 2009. "Canadian Residential Mortgage Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/130, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.