AbstractIn November 2006, the Bank of Canada announced its intention to lead a concerted research program over the next few years on the type of monetary policy framework that would best contribute to the economic well-being of Canadians in the decades ahead. The research will focus on two broad questions: whether economic welfare might be improved by targeting a rate of inflation lower than 2 per cent, and whether economic welfare might be improved by moving from an inflation-targeting (IT) framework to some form of price-level targeting (PLT). This paper focuses on the second question. The author provides an overview of the main conclusions in the literature on the relative merits of replacing IT with PLT, identifies some key outstanding questions, and outlines the Bank's research program. The author concludes that, compared with the conventional wisdom that prevailed a decade ago, recent analysis is more promising for PLT. Nevertheless, the models that have been used so far often ignore some of the key potential benefits, or some of the key potential costs, associated with PLT. More research is needed before one can draw strong conclusions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Discussion Papers with number 07-8.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Monetary policy framework;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-09-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-09-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-09-02 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Meh, Césaire A. & Ríos-Rull, José-Víctor & Terajima, Yaz, 2010.
"Aggregate and welfare effects of redistribution of wealth under inflation and price-level targeting,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 637-652, September.
- Césaire A. Meh & José-Victor Rios-Rull & Yaz Terajima, 2008. "Aggregate and Welfare Effects of Redistribution of Wealth Under Inflation and Price-Level Targeting," Working Papers 08-31, Bank of Canada.
- Yaz Terajima & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Cesaire Meh, 2008. "Aggregate and Welfare Effects of Redistribution of Wealth Under Inflation and Price-Level Targeting," 2008 Meeting Papers 381, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.