Public and Private Liquidity Providers
AbstractThe goal of this paper is to explore the benefits of having a private liquidity provider and the conditions under which this lender provides liquidity, when a public liquidity provider is also present. The model proposed incorporates an endogenous interbank lending market so that the decision of a bank to seek liquidity in the interbank market or to turn to the private or the public lender is also endogenous. This framework permits the derivation of conclusions on the size of the private lender, interbank lending conditions and optimal policy for liquidity provision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 1015.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam Ashcraft & Morten L. Bech & W. Scott Frame, 2009.
"The Federal Home Loan Bank System: the lender of next-to-last resort?,"
2009-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Adam Ashcraft & Morten L. Bech & W. Scott Frame, 2010. "The Federal Home Loan Bank System: The Lender of Next-to-Last Resort?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(4), pages 551-583, 06.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Morten L. Bech & W. Scott Frame, 2008. "The Federal Home Loan Bank System: the lender of next-to-last resort?," Staff Reports 357, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Viral V. Acharya & Denis Gromb & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2012.
"Imperfect Competition in the Interbank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 184-217, April.
- Acharya, Viral V & Gromb, Denis & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2008. "Imperfect Competition in the Inter-Bank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 6984, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Herrala, Risto, 2001. "An assessment of alternative lender of last resort schemes," Research Discussion Papers 1/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Xavier Freixas & Curzio Giannini & Glenn Hoggarth & Farouk Soussa, 2000. "Lender of Last Resort: What Have We Learned Since Bagehot?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 63-84, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ANGIE CAROLINA SUAREZ SALAZAR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.