Strategic Capital Taxation in Large Open Economies with Mobile Capital
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to provide a methodology for computing time-consistent, strategic capital taxes in a large open economy and to analyze the nature of these taxes. Our results suggest that even if a full set of nondistortionary taxes is unavailable and even if the government has redistributive goals, the country which imports capital should tax corporate capital and the capital exporter should subsidize it. We perform comparative statics experiments to show how strategically chosen taxes vary with the parameters of the model.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics in its series Archive Discussion Papers with number 9608.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK
Phone: 44-20- 76316429
Fax: 44-20- 76316416
Web page: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/
Other versions of this item:
- Jiming Ha & Anne Sibert, 1997. "Strategic Capital Taxation in Large Open Economies with Mobile Capital," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 243-262, July.
- Jiming Ha & Anne Sibert, 1992. "Strategic capital taxation in large, open economies with mobile capital," Research Working Paper 92-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buiter, Willem H & Kletzer, Kenneth, 1990.
"The Welfare Economics of Cooperative and Uncooperative Fiscal Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Kletzer, Kenneth M., 1991. "The welfare economics of cooperative and noncooperative fiscal policy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 215-244.
- Willem H. Buiter & Kenneth M. Kletzer, 1991. "The Welfare Economics of Cooperative and Noncooperative Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 3329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, W.H. & Kletzer, K.M., 1990. "The Welfare Economics Of Cooperative And Noncooperative Fiscal Policy," Papers 612, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Christophe Chamley, 1980.
"The Welfare Cost of Capital Income Taxation in a Growing Economy,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
553, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1981. "The Welfare Cost of Capital Income Taxation in a Growing Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 468-96, June.
- Berndt, Ernst R, 1976. "Reconciling Alternative Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(1), pages 59-68, February.
- Kehoe, Patrick J, 1989. "Policy Cooperation among Benevolent Governments May Be Undesirable," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 289-96, April.
- Ghosh, A.R., 1990.
"Strtegic Aspects Of Public Finance In A World With High Capital Mobility,"
49, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Ghosh, Atish R., 1991. "Strategic aspects of public finance in a world with high capital mobility," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 229-247, May.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1988.
"New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1987. "New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 201-222 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1986. "Taxation of Investment and Savings in a World Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1086-1102, December.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1986.
"Capital income taxation in growing open economies,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152946, Tilburg University.
- Jason Cummins & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1995.
"The Tax Sensitivity of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data,"
in: The Effects of Taxation on Multinational Corporations, pages 123-152
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jason G. Cummins & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1994. "The Tax Sensitivity of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 4703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Sibert, 1983.
"Capital accumulation and foreign investment taxation,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
218, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sibert, Anne C, 1985. "Capital Accumulation and Foreign Investment Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 331-45, April.
- G. D. A. MacDougall, 1960. "THE BENEFITS and COSTS OF PRIVATE INVESTMENT FROM ABROAD: A THEORETICAL APPROACH," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 13-35, 03.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"Tax Policy and International Competitiveness,"
in: International Aspects of Fiscal Policies, pages 349-386
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murray C. Kemp, 1962. "Foreign Investment And The National Advantage," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 38(81), pages 56-62, 03.
- David G. Hartman, 1981. "Domestic Tax Policy and Foreign Investment: Some Evidence," NBER Working Papers 0784, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kehoe, Patrick J., 1987.
"Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 349-376, May.
- Patrick J. Kehoe, 1986. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy," Staff Report 98, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1996. "Vanishing Tax on Capital Income in the Open Economy," NBER Working Papers 3796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joosung Jun, 1989. "U.S. Tax Policy and Direct Investment Abroad," NBER Working Papers 3049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sibert, Anne, 1990. "Taxing capital in a large, open economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 297-317, April.
- Cees Withagen & Alex Halsema, 2012.
"Tax Competition Leading to Strict Environmental Policy,"
OxCarre Working Papers
076, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Cees Withagen & Alex Halsema, 2013. "Tax competition leading to strict environmental policy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 434-449, June.
- Quadrini, Vincenzo, 2005. "Policy commitment and the welfare gains from capital market liberalization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1927-1951, November.
- Geremia Palomba, 2004. "Capital Income Taxation and Economic Growth in Open Economies," IMF Working Papers 04/91, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.