Longitudinal Analysis of Entrepreneurship and Competitiveness Dynamics in Latin America
AbstractThis study analyzes the relationship between entrepreneurial dynamics in Latin-American countries and the level of competitiveness these countries show. Based on the research conducted by Wennekers et al. (2005) that demonstrates a U-shaped relationship between the country’s rate of entrepreneurship and its level of competitiveness and economic development, we hypothesize that Latin-American countries have a descending behaviour under the U-shaped curve approach. The results from three regression models support this relationship and suggest that region’s competitiveness and economic growth have not had an important effect on entrepreneurial dynamics. We discuss that Latin-American countries need to improve some structural factors to achieve a high level of entrepreneurial dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Business Economics, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona in its series Working Paper with number 200706.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès)
Phone: 34 93 581 1209
Fax: 34 93 581 2555
Web page: http://webs2002.uab.es/dep-economia-empresa/
More information through EDIRC
Entrepreneurship; competitiveness; economic growth; Latin America.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calá, Carla Daniela & Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2012.
"Regional Determinants of Firm Entry in a Developing Country,"
2072/203159, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Calá, Carla Daniela & Arauzo-Carod, Josep-Maria & Manjón-Antolín, Miguel, 2012. "Regional determinants of firm entry in a developing country," NÃ¼lan. Deposited Documents 1626, Centro de Documentación, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata.
- Quatraro, Francesco & Vivarelli, Marco, 2013. "Drivers of Entrepreneurship and Post-Entry Performance of Newborn Firms in Developing Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 7436, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Naudé, Wim & Amoros, José Ernesto & Cristi, Oscar, 2012.
""Surfeiting, the appetite may sicken": Entrepreneurship and the happiness of nations,"
MERIT Working Papers
013, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Wim Naudé & José Ernesto Amorós & Oscar Cristi, 2011. "‘Surfeiting, The Appetite May Sicken’: Entrepreneurship and the Happiness of Nations," Working Papers 2011/07, Maastricht School of Management.
- Naudé, Wim & Amoros, José Ernesto & Cristi, Oscar, 2012. ""Surfeiting, the appetite may sicken": Entrepreneurship and the happiness of nations," MERIT Working Papers 013, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Howard Frederick & Erik Monsen, 2011. "New Zealand’s perfect storm of entrepreneurship and economic development," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 187-204, September.
- José Ernesto Amoros & Niels Bosma & Jonathan Levie, 2011. "Ten Years of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Accomplishments and Prospects," Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series 1105, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised Aug 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Armando Lloro Ayuso) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Armando Lloro Ayuso to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.