Efficiency and environmental regulation: a "complex situation"
AbstractProduction of desirable outputs is often accompanied by undesirable by-products that have damaging effects on the environment, and whose disposal is frequently regulated by public authorities. In this paper, we compute directional technology distance functions under particular assumptions concerning disposability of bads in order to test for the existence of what we call ‘complex situations’, where the biggest producer is not the greatest polluter. Furthermore, we show that how in such situations, environmental regulation could achieve an effective reduction in the aggregate level of bad outputs without reducing the production of good outputs. Finally, we illustrate our methodology with an empirical application to a sample of Spanish tile ceramic producers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Business Economics, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona in its series Working Paper with number 200502.
Date of creation: Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès)
Phone: 34 93 581 1209
Fax: 34 93 581 2555
Web page: http://webs2002.uab.es/dep-economia-empresa/
More information through EDIRC
environmental regulation; efficiency; disposability of bads;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L68 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Appliances; Furniture; Other Consumer Durables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-11-18 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2006-11-18 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENV-2006-11-18 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-REG-2006-11-18 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Davutyan, Nurhan & Bilsel, Murat & Tarcan, Menderes, 2012. "Risk-Adjusted Mortality, varieties of congestion and patient satisfaction in Turkish provincial general hospitals," MPRA Paper 37437, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Davutyan, Nurhan & Bilsel, Murat & Tarcan, Menderes, 2013. "Migration, Risk-Adjusted Mortality, Varieties of Congestion and Patient Satisfaction in Turkish Provincial General Hospitals," GIAM Working Papers 13-7, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Armando Lloro Ayuso) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Armando Lloro Ayuso to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.