Updating the Option Implied Probability of Default Methodology
AbstractIn this paper we ‘update’ the option implied probability of default (option iPoD) approach recently suggested in the literature. First, a numerically more stable objective function for the estimation of the risk neutral density is derived whose integrals can be solved analytically. Second, it is reasoned that the originally proposed approach for the estimation of the PoD has some serious drawbacks and hence an alternative procedure is suggested that is based on the Lagrange multipliers. Carrying out numerical evaluations and a practical application we find that the framework provides very promising results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Regensburg, Department of Economics in its series University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems with number 22326.
Date of creation: 12 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitäts-Str. 31, D-93040 Regensburg
Phone: +49 941 943-2392
Fax: +49 941 943-4752
Web page: http://www-wiwi.uni-regensburg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Option Implied Probability of Default; Risk Neutral Density; Cross Entropy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-10-22 (Banking)
- NEP-CIS-2011-10-22 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-RMG-2011-10-22 (Risk Management)
- NEP-UPT-2011-10-22 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Knaup, M., 2011. "Market-based measures of bank risk and bank aggressiveness," Open Access publications from Tilburg University, Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4643186, Tilburg University.
- Christian Capuano, 2008. "The Option-Ipod. the Probability of Default Implied by Option Prices Basedon Entropy," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 08/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Zellner, Arnold & Highfield, Richard A., 1988. "Calculation of maximum entropy distributions and approximation of marginalposterior distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 195-209, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gernot Deinzer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.