Monge assignment games
AbstractAn assignment game is defined by a matrix A, where each row represents a buyer and each column a seller. If buyer i is matched with seller j, the market produces aij units of utility. We study Monge assignment games, that is bilateral cooperative assignment games where the assignment matrix satisfies the Monge property. These matrices can be characterized by the fact that in any submatrix of 2 2 an optimal matching is placed in its main diagonal. For square markets, we describe their cores by using only the central tridiagonal band of the elements of the matrix. We obtain a closed formula for the buyers-optimal and the sellers-optimal core allocations. Non- square markets are analyzed also by reducing them to appropriate square matrices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 282.
Length: 0 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de CiÃ¨ncies EconÃ²miques. Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, Num 1-11 08034 Barcelona. Spain.
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2012-07-14 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2012-07-14 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonard, Herman B, 1983. "Elicitation of Honest Preferences for the Assignment of Individuals to Positions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 461-79, June.
- Perez-Castrillo, D. & Sotomayor, M., 1998.
"A Simple Selling and Buying Procedure,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
421.98, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- David Perez-Castrillo & Marilda Sotomayor, 2000. "A Simple Selling and Buying Procedure," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0704, Econometric Society.
- Burkard, Rainer E., 2007. "Monge properties, discrete convexity and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Becker, Gary S, 1973. "A Theory of Marriage: Part I," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 813-46, July-Aug..
- Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David & Sotomayor, Marilda, 1986. "Multi-Item Auctions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 863-72, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.