The Impact of EU Membership on the Economic Governance of Spain
AbstractSpain was not admitted to the then European Economic Community during the Francos regime for political reasons. Joining the EU on January 1986 was the last and final step forward towards the definitive consolidation of democracy in Spain and the consolidation of the opening of the Spanish Economy. The results over the first twenty five years of membership have translated into an unprecedented boost of modernization and progress. Spain adopted the Acquis Communautaire and received considerable benefits from EU membership, eliminating barriers, following the common policies , re ceiving European funds and adopting the European common currency . From an index of 60 per cent of the European income average in 1986, todays income even after the crisis that started in 2008- is in the range of 105 per cent. The last three years have been different and difficult due to the severe economic and financial crisis. In this context, this paper analyses how the successive Spanish governments organized the economic governance to adapt to the quantitative and qualitative changes registered in the European Integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 274.
Length: 0 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de CiÃ¨ncies EconÃ²miques. Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, Num 1-11 08034 Barcelona. Spain.
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K33 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - International Law
- H12 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Crisis Management
- N94 - Economic History - - Regional and Urban History - - - Europe: 1913-
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- L74 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Construction
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.