Fair value versus historic cost Valuation for Biological assets: Implications for the quality of financial information
AbstractThis research finds neither significant differences in earnings and revenues for farms using fair value (FV) for biological assets with respect to those valuing at historic cost (HC), nor an increase in their volatility. It does not bring about differences in profitability, accounting manipulation and farm cash flows predictability either. On the contrary, most tests reveal higher predictive power of future earnings under FV. The study also provides evidence on flawed HC accounting practices in the agricultural sector and concludes that FV seems an interesting tool for the predominant small holdings in the agricultural sector in the European Union.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 215.
Length: 0 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de CiÃ¨ncies EconÃ²miques. Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, Num 1-11 08034 Barcelona. Spain.
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2009-01-24 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-AGR-2009-01-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dechow, Patricia M. & Kothari, S. P. & L. Watts, Ross, 1998. "The relation between earnings and cash flows," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 133-168, May.
- Schmitt, Gunther, 1991. "Why Is the Agriculture of Advanced Western Economies Still Organized by Family Farms? Will This Continue to Be So in the Future?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 18(3-4), pages 443-58.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-86, October.
- Ahmed, Anwer S. & Takeda, Carolyn, 1995. "Stock market valuation of gains and losses on commercial banks' investment securities An empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 207-225, September.
- Alexander Bleck & Xuewen Liu, 2007. "Market Transparency and the Accounting Regime," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 229-256, 05.
- Barth, Mary E. & Landsman, Wayne R. & Wahlen, James M., 1995. "Fair value accounting: Effects on banks' earnings volatility, regulatory capital, and value of contractual cash flows," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 577-605, June.
- Hann, Rebecca N. & Heflin, Frank & Subramanayam, K.R., 2007. "Fair-value pension accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 328-358, December.
- Eccher, Elizabeth A. & Ramesh, K. & Thiagarajan, S. Ramu, 1996. "Fair value disclosures by bank holding companies," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 79-117, October.
- Guillaume Plantin & Haresh Sapra & Hyun Shin, .
"Marking to Market: Panacea or Pandora’s Box ?,"
GSIA Working Papers
2005-E4, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Carnes, Thomas A. & Jones, Jefferson P. & Biggart, Timothy B. & Barker, Katherine J., 2003. "Just-in-time inventory systems innovation and the predictability of earnings," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 743-749.
- Mark H. Lang & Karl V. Lins & Darius P. Miller, 2003. "ADRs, Analysts, and Accuracy: Does Cross Listing in the United States Improve a Firm's Information Environment and Increase Market Value?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 317-345, 05.
- Raul Iniguez & Francisco Poveda, 2004. "Long-run abnormal returns and income smoothing in the Spanish stock market," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 105-130.
- J.-C. Kroll, 1987. "Le Nouveau Plan Comptable : les occasions perdues," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 180(1), pages 20-25.
- Pierre Jinghong Liang & Xiaoyan Wen, 2007. "Accounting Measurement Basis, Market Mispricing, and Firm Investment Efficiency," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 155-197, 03.
- Tomkins, Cyril & Groves, Roger, 1983. "The everyday accountant and researching his reality," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 361-374, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.