The distributional incidence of growth: a non-anonymous and rank dependent approach
AbstractThis paper provides a normative framework for the assessment of the distributional incidence of growth. By removing the anonymity axiom, such framework is able to evaluate the individual income changes over time and the reshuffling of individuals along the income distribution that are determined by the pattern of income growth. We adopt a rank dependent social welfare function expressed in terms of initial rank and individual income change and we obtain complete and partial dominance conditions over di¤erent growth paths. These dominance conditions account for the different components determining the overall impact of growth, that is the size of growth and its vertical and horizontal incidence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari in its series series with number 0039.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision: Jul 2012
Growth; Pro-poor; Inequality; Income mobility; Dominance.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peragine, Vito & Palmisano, Flaviana & Brunori, Paolo, 2013.
"Economic Growth and equality of opportunity,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6599, The World Bank.
- V. Peragine & F. Palmisano & P. Brunori, 2011. "Economic growth and equality of opportunity," series, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - UniversitÃ di Bari 0037, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Oct 2011.
- Vito Peragine & Flaviana Palmisano & Paolo Brunori, 2011. "Economic growth and equality of opportunity," Working Papers 232, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Flaviana Palmisano & Dirk Van de gaer, 2013. "History dependent growth incidence: A characterisation and an application to the economic crisis in Italy," Working Papers 314, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruggiero Marco Paolillo) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ruggiero Marco Paolillo to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.