Mobility and Long term Equality of Opportunity
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to propose a methodology for evaluating long-term income distributions according to the equality of opportunity principle; we propose partial and complete rankings of long term income distributions and show the relationship between the inequality of oppor- tunity in the single periods of time and inequality of opportunity in the long run. We show that this relationship can be interpreted in terms of intragenerational mobility. In general, it is possible to state that mobility can act as an equalizer of opportunities when the accounting period is extended.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari in its series series with number 0035.
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision: Feb 2011
Equality of opportunity; income mobility; inequality; social welfare;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-26 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vito Peragine & Flaviana Palmisano & Paolo Brunori, 2011.
"Economic growth and equality of opportunity,"
232, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Peragine, Vito & Palmisano, Flaviana & Brunori, Paolo, 2013. "Economic Growth and equality of opportunity," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6599, The World Bank.
- V. Peragine & F. Palmisano & P. Brunori, 2011. "Economic growth and equality of opportunity," series 0037, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Oct 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruggiero Marco Paolillo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.