Strategische Implikationen einer geringen Fertigungstiefe für die Automobilindustrie
AbstractIn the German automobile industry the vertical integration, as an indicator of value added, is on average low. Beyond the argument of relative high labour costs for manufacturing, several specific reasons for the level of vertical integration, linked to the flexibility of business administration and the requirements of microeconomic mechanisms in the industry, can be found. The analysis based on empirical data including lessons from the early American automobile industry and theoretical explanations underlines the diversity of decision criteria towards a high or low level of vertical integration. The results facilitate the decision making of the OEM’s on vertical integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0456.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision: Oct 2007
vertical integration; strategic management; automobile industry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-01 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading lists or Wikipedia pages:Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabi Rauscher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.