Costly Inflation Misperceptions
AbstractOne of the consequences of the euro changeover in 2002 was that for a period of several years people considerably overestimated actual inflation. The goal of this paper is to study whether misperceptions of this kind may have real effects, that is, whether they induce people to alter their behaviour. We also discuss the question how far the euro changeover and the ensuing discussion about price stability contributed to the recession that followed the changeover. Looking at the German restaurant sector, we find that people’s misperceptions can have significant negative effects. The contraction this sector experienced in the months after the changeover was too pronounced to be explained by normal business cycle movements. We provide a discussion about the causes of these misperceptions and how to avoid them in future changeovers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0455.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision: Oct 2007
euro changeover; perceived inflation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2007-12-01 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-12-01 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas A. Eife, 2006. "Price setting behaviour and price setting regulations at the euro changeover," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2006-06, Bank of Estonia, revised 12 Oct 2006.
- Wunder, Christoph & Schwarze, Johannes & Krug, Gerhard & Herzog, Bodo, 2008.
"Welfare effects of the euro cash changeover,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 571-586, September.
- Christoph Wunder & Johannes Schwarze & Gerhard Krug & Bodo Herzog, 2006. "Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 646, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Wunder, Christoph & Schwarze, Johannes & Krug, Gerhard & Herzog, Bodo, 2006. "Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover," IZA Discussion Papers 2508, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manfred Fluch & Helmut Stix, 2005. "Perceived Inflation in Austria – Extent, Explanations, Effects," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 22â47, November.
- Vincenzo Cestari & Paolo Del Giovane & Clelia Rossi-Arnaud, 2007. "Memory for prices and the euro cash changeover: An analysis for cinema prices in Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 619, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Thomas A. Eife & W. Timothy Coombs, 2007.
"Coping with People's Inflation Perceptions during a Currency Changeover,"
0458, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
- Thomas A. Eife & W. Timothy Coombs, 2006. "Coping with People’s Inflation Perceptions During a Currency Changeover," Working Papers 0435, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Bettina Isengard & Thorsten Schneider, 2006. "The euro and its perception in the German population," Discussion Papers 011, University of Flensburg, International Institute of Management.
- Lunn, Pete & Duffy, David, 2010. "The Euro Through the Looking-Glass: Perceived Inflation Following the 2002 Currency Changeover," Papers WP338, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Thomas A. Eife & W. Timothy Coombs, 2006.
"Coping with People’s Inflation Perceptions During a Currency Changeover,"
0435, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Thomas A. Eife & W. Timothy Coombs, 2007. "Coping with People's Inflation Perceptions during a Currency Changeover," Working Papers 0458, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabi Rauscher).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.