Conjunctive use of surface water and groundwater with quality considerations
AbstractDeterministic models of conjunctive surface and groundwater management aren’t much more complicated than typical groundwater-only management models under simple assumptions. However, when water quality problems exist, the fact that there are two alternative sources of water gains a new significance, as there is no guarantee that they will be of comparable quality. Thus the benefit from using one unit of surface water may not be the same as that of one unit of groundwater. This paper analyses the implications of considering a conjunctive ground and surface water system where water quality varies according to source, with and without uncertainty in hydrological parameters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro in its series Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) with number 13.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Santiago J. Rubio Jorge & Juan Patricio Castro Valdivia, 1996.
"Long-run groundwater reserves under uncertainty,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1996-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Dinar, Ariel, 1994. "Impact of energy cost and water resource availability on agriculture and ground water quality in California," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 47-66, March.
- Fisher, Anthony C. & Rubio, Santiago J., 1997. "Adjusting to Climate Change: Implications of Increased Variability and Asymmetric Adjustment Costs for Investment in Water Reserves," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Knapp Keith C. & Olson Lars J., 1995. "The Economics of Conjunctive Groundwater Management with Stochastic Surface Supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 340-356, May.
- Rubio, Santiago J., 1992. "Adjustment costs, uncertainty, and the theory of investment: the case of non-renewable natural resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 139-153, September.
- Tsur, Yacov & Graham-Tomasi, Theodore, 1991. "The buffer value of groundwater with stochastic surface water supplies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 201-224, November.
- Xepapadeas, A. P., 1992. "Environmental policy design and dynamic nonpoint-source pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 22-39, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marta Ferreira Dias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.