Australian Gambling Taxation
AbstractSince ancient times, governments have regulated the extent and conditions under which gambling is permitted. Governments also developed an early financial interest in legalising gambling, realising that certain forms of gambling were a productive base for taxation. These dual roles of government as a social guardian, and as a gambling operator, place it under conflicting pressures to both encourage and discourage gambling. This documents reviews gambling taxation in Australia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 402.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: May 1999
Date of revision:
TAXATION ; AUSTRALIA ; GAMBLING;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gruen, Arthur, 1976. "An Inquiry into the Economics of Race-Track Gambling," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(1), pages 169-77, February.
- Colin S. Campbell & J. Rick Ponting, 1984. "The Evolution of Casino Gambling in Alberta," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 10(2), pages 142-155, June.
- Martin, Robert & Yandle, Bruce, 1990. " State Lotteries as Duopoly Transfer Mechanisms," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 253-64, March.
- Terry M. Alchin, 1983. "Gambling Taxes: The Milch Cow Of New South Wales," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 2(1), pages 75-83, 05.
- Mikesell, John L., 1994. "State Lottery Sales and Economic Activity," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(1), pages 165-71, March.
- Neil A. Warren, 1979. "Australian Tax Incidence in 1975-76: Some Preliminary Results," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 12(3), pages 19-30.
- Cooper, Samuel & Cohn, Elchanan, 1994. "Equity and Efficiency of State Lotteries," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 355-362.
- Borg, Mary O. & Mason, Paul M., 1988. "The Budgetary Incidence of a Lottery to Support Education," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 41(1), pages 75-85, March.
- Cook, Philip J & Clotfelter, Charles T, 1993.
"The Peculiar Scale Economies of Lotto,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 634-43, June.
- Jackson, John D & Saurman, David S & Shughart, William F, II, 1994. " Instant Winners: Legal Change in Transition and the Diffusion of State Lotteries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 80(3-4), pages 245-63, September.
- Robert Albon, 1997. "The Efficiency of State Taxes," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(3), pages 273-287.
- Alchin, T., 1989. "Taxation of Gambling in Australia," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 19(2), pages 167-184.
- Madhusudhan, Ranjana G., 1996. "Betting on Casino Revenues: Lessons From State Experiences," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(3), pages 401-12, September.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1983. "Progressivity Index of Sales Tax on Individual Expenditure Items in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 59(164), pages 61-79, March.
- Gulley, O. David & Scott, Frank A. Jr., 1989. "Lottery Effects on Pari-Mutuel Tax Revenues," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 42(1), pages 89-93, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.