Mapping National Innovation Systems in the OECD Area
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to present new findings about the structure and the organization of innovative activities in selected OECD countries. By using the approach of national sys-tems of innovation as a conceptual framework and by applying multivariate data analysis techniques, this paper aims to add new insights into the specific structures of the eighteen national systems of innovation under study. A central result from this comparative study is a categorisation of national systems of innovation into different clusters, with each cluster rep-resenting distinctive cross-national structural similarities. By accounting for sectoral specif-ics, the commonly taken perspective on national innovation systems is extended. Thereby, a more precise picture of the structural composition of the analyzed national innovation sys-tems accrues. Also, a new linkage between the two approaches of national and sectoral inno-vation systems is created.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 279.
Date of creation: Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
national innovation systems; comparative study; classification;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2005-10-04 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2005-10-04 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amable, Bruno, 2003. "The Diversity of Modern Capitalism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261147, October.
- Malerba, Franco, 2002. "Sectoral systems of innovation and production," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 247-264, February.
- Markus Balzat & Horst Hanusch, 2004.
"Recent trends in the research on national innovation systems,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 197-210, 06.
- Markus Balzat & Horst Hanusch, 2003. "Recent Trends in the Research on National Innovation Systems," Discussion Paper Series 254, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Nasierowski, W. & Arcelus, F. J., 2003. "On the efficiency of national innovation systems," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 215-234, September.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Azagra-Caro,Joaquín M. & Consoli,Davide, 2013. "Knowledge Flows and Public-Private Cooperation across National Contexts," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201304, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV).
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2006. "The interactions between national systems and sectoral patterns of innovation: a cross-country analysis of Pavitt’s taxonomy," MPRA Paper 27601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Horst Hanusch & Andreas Pyka & Florian Wackermann, 2009. "A Neo-Schumpeterian Approach towards Public Sector Economics," Discussion Paper Series 306, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Mario Coccia, 2007. "Quanto e come investire in ricerca per massimizzare la crescita economica? Analisi e implicazioni di politica economica per l’Italia e l’Europa," CERIS Working Paper 200705, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Saurabh Arora & Marjolein C.J. Caniëls & Henny Romijn, 2010. "Emergence of a biofuel economy in Tanzania: Local developments and global connections from an institutional perspective," Working Papers 10-09, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised Oct 2010.
- Horst Hanusch & Andreas Pyka, 2006. "Applying a Comprehensive Neo-Schumpeterian Approach to Europe and its Lisbon Agenda," Discussion Paper Series 286, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Fulvio Castellacci, 2009. "The interactions between national systems and sectoral patterns of innovation," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 321-347, June.
- Di Meglio, Gisela & Pyka, Andreas & Rubalcaba, Luis, 2012. "Varieties of service economies in Europe," FZID Discussion Papers 44-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.