Kann der Sozialstaat gerettet werden?
AbstractReferring to publications of his own from previous years on the crisis and reform of the German "Sozialstaat" (welfare state) the author deals with the question, whether and how the welfare state can be preserved. He critically describes the discussion on the crisis of the welfare state since 1975. He shows that the renaissance of classical economics and of classical economic liberalism undermines the idea of the welfare state, while the impact of globalization hurts the material economic basis of the German welfare state. He explains which pre-conditions should be fulfilled and which kinds of reforms should be realized to preserve the essentials of a welfare state. The author pleads not to accept the North-American social philosophy, to liberate the social regulations from excesses and inefficiencies and to pursue an economic policy, which secures the economic basis for social policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 247.
Date of creation: Jul 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Sozialstaatskritik; Sozialstaatsreform; Sozialordnungsreform; Globalisierung; Neoliberalismus; Sozialphilosophie der USA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- H53 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Welfare Programs
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barr, Nicholas, 1992. "Economic Theory and the Welfare State: A Survey and Interpretation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 741-803, June.
- Heinz Lampert, 2005. "Politikversagen als Ursache der deutschen Sozialstaatskrise," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 225(1), pages 44-59, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.