Credit Risk and the Role of Capital Adequacy Regulation
AbstractUsing the industrial organization approach to the microeconomics of banking we model a large (Monti-Klein) bank which is risk neutral and faces credit uncertainty in its loan business. The impact of capital adequacy regulation and the effect of changes in risk on deposit and loan rates are analyzed. We then show that capital adequacy regulation induces the bank to behave as if it were risk averse. Finally, we examine risk management with credit derivatives in the framework of the proposed New Basel Capital Accord where such hedging operations are explicitly accounted as reducing the risk position of a bank. In this environment separation and full hedge results are derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 224.
Date of creation: May 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
credit risk; capital adequacy; regulation; risk aversion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-05-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zarruk, Emilio R. & Madura, Jeff, 1992. "Optimal Bank Interest Margin under Capital Regulation and Deposit Insurance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 143-149, March.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1999.
"Liquidity Risk, Liquidity Creation and Financial Fragility: A Theory of Banking,"
NBER Working Papers
7430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1998. "Liquidity risk, liquidity creation and financial fragility: a theory of banking," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2001. "Liquidity Risk, Liquidity Creation, and Financial Fragility: A Theory of Banking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(2), pages 287-327, April.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, . "Liquidity Risk, Liquidity Creation and Financial Fragility: A Theory of Banking," CRSP working papers 476, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996.
"Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1998. "Risk management, capital budgeting, and capital structure policy for financial institutions: an integrated approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 55-82, January.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996. "Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Donald R. Lessard, 1995. "Financial Risk Management For Developing Countries: A Policy Overview," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(3), pages 4-18.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- João A. C. Santos, 2000. "Bank capital regulation in contemporary banking theory: a review of the literature," BIS Working Papers 90, Bank for International Settlements.
- Thilo Pausch & Gerhard Schweimayer, 2004. "Hedging with Credit Derivatives and its Strategic Role in Banking Competition," Discussion Paper Series 260, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Udo Broll & Thilo Pausch & Peter Welzel, 2002. "Credit Risk and Credit Derivatives in Banking," Discussion Paper Series 228, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Udo Broll & Peter Welzel, 2002. "Bankrisiko und Risikosteuerung mit Derivaten," Discussion Paper Series 227, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Erol Muzir, 2013. "Impact of Placement Choices and Governance Issues on Credit Risk in Banking: Nonparametric Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 3(4), pages 6, August.
- Pausch, Thilo, 2013. "Risk Sensitivity of Banks, Interbank Markets and the Effects of Liquidity Regulation," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79702, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Thilo Pausch, 2003. "The Lender-Borrower Relationship with Risk Averse Lenders," Discussion Paper Series 244, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Udo Broll & Peter Welzel, 2002. "Risikomanagement mit Kreditoptionen," Discussion Paper Series 231, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Thilo Pausch, 2003. "Bank's Assets and Liabilities Management with Multiple Sources of Risk," Discussion Paper Series 245, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2010. "Firm Characteristics, Financial Composition and Response to Monetary Policy: Evidence from Indian Data," MPRA Paper 24717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thilo Pausch, 2005. "Credit Risk, Credit Rationing, and the Role of Banks: The Case of Risk Averse Lenders," Discussion Paper Series 271, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.