Nachhaltige Wasserwirtschaft durch Synergie. - Moegliche Kooperationen bei der Wasserver- und Entsorgung
AbstractThe function of communal water supply utilities is to provide consumers with high quality drinking water in sufficient quantities. On the other hand communal wastewater disposal utilities have to dispose the wastewater. In addition to this water prices and wastewater charges shall also give financial incentives to water avoidance. The existing cost problem results of the structure of German water supply system and wastewater disposal systemwhich are in contrast to other European countries highly decentralised. Cooperation is one instrument to improve efficiency and effectiveness towards a sustainable water management. Cooperation is mainly directed to relationships between water utilities, independent of size and organization and should be realised on a voluntary basis. A cooperation could take place between two water supply utilities or between two wastewater disposal utilities or and between a water supply utility and a wastewater disposal utility. If necessary, communal and fiscal legislation have to be adapted to open the way for this strategic instrument. The key topic of this paper is to show possibilities for realizing synergies through cooperation in water and wastewater management on the example of the city Augsburg and the municipalities in the administrative districts Augsburg, Aichach-Friedberg, Donau-Ries and Dillingen. Based on an own survey the results are judged by the context of a sustainable water management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 204.
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Nachhaltigkeit; Wasserwirtschaft; Wasserversorgung; Abwasse-rentsorgung; Wasserpreise; Abwassergebuehren; Kooperation; Synergie; sustainability; water management; water supply; wastewater disposal; water prices; wastewater charges; cooperation; synergies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H00 - Public Economics - - General - - - General
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- L95 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Gas Utilities; Pipelines; Water Utilities
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.