The Impact of SMP and EMU on German Banking
AbstractThis study assesses the impact of the single market program (SMP) and the European monetary union (EMU) on the German banking sector. As a main result, the introduction of the EMU can be assessed as more important for the German banking system than the SMP because of the relative liberal conditions prior to the SMP. To maintain or enhance profitability in an environment of decreasing margins, all banks will increase their efforts to reduce costs. On the product side, the disintermediation process is expected to speed up. As a consequence, the traditional system of universal banks could be somewhat changed: A partial retreat of savings as well as cooperative banks from investment banking, accompanied by increasing market shares in the branch-based retail business. For commercial banks, the consultation-intense investment business is very attractive. On the retail sector, a specialization on direct banking allows for additional customers from abroad as well as for high growth rates in the brokerage business.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 192.
Date of creation: Feb 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-01-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2001-01-27 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2001-01-27 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1999.
" Mergers among German Cooperative Banks: A Panel-Based Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 273-86, December.
- Günter Lang, Peter Welzel, 1999. "Mergers Among German Cooperative Banks. A Panel-based Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Working Paper Series B 1999-03, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultïät.
- Doris Neu Berger, 1998. "Industrial Organization of Banking: A Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 97-118.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986.
"Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies,"
Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Schure, Paul, 1999. "Economies of Scale and Efficiency in European Banking: New Evidence," Economic and Financial Reports 1999/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"The effects of megamergers on efficiency and prices: evidence from a bank profit function,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1996. "The Effects of Megamergers on Efficiency and Prices: Evidence from a Bank Profit Function," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.