Irrigation Full Cost Assessment: The case of the Pinios Local Organization for Land Reclamation, Greece
AbstractThe paper presents a rapid assessment of irrigation full cost of the Pinios Local Organization for Land Reclamation. The individual cost components (financial, environmental and resource) were estimated using the best available data and sound methodological choices. On the basis of our estimates it seems that water scarcity and its corresponding resource cost is quite important issue to be ignored. The scarcity rents falls within a range from 21% to 39% of water full cost, while the environmental cost is about 8%. The policy implications of these results are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2013-1.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
WFD; Irrigation Full Cost Account; With-Without Analysis; Water Balance; Water Scarcity Rents; Pinios Local Organization for Land Reclamation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q52 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Pollution Control Costs; Distributional Effects; Employment Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-02-08 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2013-02-08 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. T. Moncur & Richard L. Pollock, 1988. "Scarcity Rents for Water: A Valuation and Pricing Model," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(1), pages 62-72.
- Ronald C. Griffin, 2006. "Water Resource Economics: The Analysis of Scarcity, Policies, and Projects," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026207267x, December.
- Phoebe Koundouri, .
"Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management,"
DEOS Working Papers, Athens University of Economics and Business
0402, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Phoebe Koundouri, 2004. "Current Issues in the Economics of Groundwater Resource Management," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 703-740, December.
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2004. "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," MPRA Paper 38425, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aziz Bouzaher & Richard Cabe & Alicia L. Carriquiry & Philip W. Gassman & P. G. Lakshminarayan & Jason F. Shogren, 1992.
"Metamodels and Nonpoint Pollution Policy in Agriculture,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University
92-wp97, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bouzaher, Aziz & Lakshminarayan, P. G. & Cabe, Richard & Carriquiry, Alicia L. & Gassman, Philip W. & Shogren, Jason F., 1993. "Metamodels and Nonpoint Pollution Policy in Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers, Iowa State University, Department of Economics 531, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Amy W. Ando & Madhu Khanna, 2004. "Natural Resource Damage Assessment Methods: Lessons in Simplicity from State Trustees," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(4), pages 504-519, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kremmydas dimitrios).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.