From SpaceStat to CyberGIS: Twenty Years of Spatial Data Analysis Software
AbstractThis essay assesses the evolution of the way in which spatial data analytical methods have been incorporated into software tools over the past two decades. It is part retrospective and prospective, going beyond a historical review to outline some ideas about important factors that drove the software development, such as methodological advances, the open source movement and the advent of the internet and cyberinfrastructure. The review highlights activities carried out by the author and his collaborators and uses SpaceStat, GeoDa, PySAL and recent spatial analytical web services developed at the ASU GeoDa Center as illustrative examples. It outlines a vision for a spatial econometrics workbench as an example of the incorporation of spatial analytical functionality in a cyberGIS.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by GeoDa Center for Geospatial Analysis and Computation in its series GeoDa Center Working Papers with number 1047.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning Arizona State University P.O. Box 875302 Tempe, AZ 85287-5302
Web page: http://geodacenter.asu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-06-13 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HPE-2012-06-13 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-06-13 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pace, R. Kelley & LeSage, James P., 2004. "Chebyshev approximation of log-determinants of spatial weight matrices," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 179-196, March.
- Xingjian Liu & James LeSage, 2010. "Arc_Mat: a Matlab-based spatial data analysis toolbox," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 69-87, March.
- A. Yalta & A. Yalta, 2010.
"Should Economists Use Open Source Software for Doing Research?,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 371-394, April.
- A. Talha Yalta & A. Yasemin Yalta, 2012. "Should Economists Use Open Source Software for Doing Research?," Hacettepe University Department of Economics Working Papers 20127, Hacettepe University, Department of Economics.
- A. Talha Yalta & A. Yasemin Yalta, 2010. "Should Economists Use Open Source Software for Doing Research?," Working Papers 1007, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Smirnov, Oleg & Anselin, Luc, 2001. "Fast maximum likelihood estimation of very large spatial autoregressive models: a characteristic polynomial approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 301-319, January.
- Anselin, Luc & Getis, Arthur, 1992. "Spatial Statistical Analysis and Geographic Information Systems," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 19-33, April.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Gianfranco Piras, . "sphet: Spatial Models with Heteroskedastic Innovations in R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 35(i01).
- Rey, S.J., 2008.
"Show me the code: Spatial analysis and open source,"
9260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergio Rey, 2009. "Show me the code: spatial analysis and open source," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 191-207, June.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2010. "Specification and estimation of spatial autoregressive models with autoregressive and heteroskedastic disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 53-67, July.
- Thibault Laurent & Anne Ruiz-Gazen & Christine Thomas-Agnan, .
"GeoXp: An R Package for Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis,"
Journal of Statistical Software,
American Statistical Association, vol. 47(i02).
- Laurent, Thibault & Ruiz-Gazen, Anne & Thomas-Agnan, Christine, 2009. "GeoXp: An R Package for Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis," TSE Working Papers 09-099, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Lee, Lung-fei, 2007. "GMM and 2SLS estimation of mixed regressive, spatial autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 489-514, April.
- Luc Anselin, 2010. "Thirty years of spatial econometrics," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(1), pages 3-25, 03.
- Sergio J. Rey & Mark V. Janikas, 2004. "STARS: Space-Time Analysis of Regional Systems," Urban/Regional 0406001, EconWPA.
- R. Pace & James LeSage, 2009. "A sampling approach to estimate the log determinant used in spatial likelihood problems," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 209-225, September.
- David M. Drukker & Ingmar Prucha & Rafal Raciborski, 2013. "A command for estimating spatial-autoregressive models with spatial-autoregressive disturbances and additional endogenous variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 13(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Zhong-Ren Peng & Chuanrong Zhang, 2004. "The roles of geography markup language (GML), scalable vector graphics (SVG), and Web feature service (WFS) specifications in the development of Internet geographic information systems (GIS)," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 95-116, 06.
- Luc Anselin & Yong Wook Kim & Ibnu Syabri, 2004. "Web-based analytical tools for the exploration of spatial data," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 197-218, 06.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "HAC estimation in a spatial framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 131-154, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Burkhart).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.