A Bayesian Non-Parametric Approach to Asymmetric Dynamic Conditional Correlation Model With Application to Portfolio Selection
AbstractWe propose a Bayesian non-parametric approach for modeling the distribution of multiple returns. In particular, we use an asymmetric dynamic conditional correlation (ADCC) model to estimate the time-varying correlations of financial returns where the individual volatilities are driven by GJR-GARCH models. The ADCC-GJR-GARCH model takes into consideration the asymmetries in individual assets' volatilities, as well as in the correlations. The errors are modeled using a Dirichlet location-scale mixture of multivariate Gaussian distributions allowing for a great flexibility in the return distribution in terms of skewness and kurtosis. Model estimation and prediction are developed using MCMC methods based on slice sampling techniques. We carry out a simulation study to illustrate the flexibility of the proposed approach. We find that the proposed DPM model is able to adapt to several frequently used distribution models and also accurately estimates the posterior distribution of the volatilities of the returns, without assuming any underlying distribution. Finally, we present a financial application using Apple and NASDAQ Industrial index data to solve a portfolio allocation problem. We find that imposing a restrictive parametric distribution can result into underestimation of the portfolio variance, whereas DPM model is able to overcome this problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1301.5129.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision: Jan 2014
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Audrone Virbickaite & Concepción Ausín & Pedro Galeano, 2013. "A Bayesian non-parametric approach to asymmetric dynamic conditional correlation model with application to portfolio selection," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws131009, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-01-26 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-01-26 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-RMG-2013-01-26 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Omiros Papaspiliopoulos & Gareth O. Roberts, 2008. "Retrospective Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for Dirichlet process hierarchical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(1), pages 169-186.
- Mark J Jensen & John M Maheu, 2012.
"Bayesian semiparametric multivariate GARCH modeling,"
tecipa-458, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Jensen, Mark J. & Maheu, John M., 2013. "Bayesian semiparametric multivariate GARCH modeling," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 3-17.
- Mark J. Jensen & John M. Maheu, 2012. "Bayesian semiparametric multivariate GARCH modeling," Working Paper 2012-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Mark J. Jensen & John M. Maheu, 2012. "Bayesian Semiparametric Multivariate GARCH Modeling," Working Paper Series 48_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007.
"Multivariate GARCH models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
669, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2008.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006.
"Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003. "Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns," Working Paper Series 0204, European Central Bank.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986.
"Estimation of the optimal futures hedge,"
Research Working Paper
86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Eduardo Rossi & Claudio Zucca, 2002. "Hedging interest rate risk with multivariate GARCH," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 241-251.
- Ardia, David & Hoogerheide, Lennart F., 2010.
"Efficient Bayesian estimation and combination of GARCH-type models,"
22919, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Ardia & Lennart F. Hoogerheide, 2010. "Efficient Bayesian Estimation and Combination of GARCH-Type Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-046/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hun Y. Park & Anil K. Bera, 1987. "Interest-Rate Volatility, Basis Risk and Heteroscedasticity in Hedging Mortgages," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(2), pages 79-97.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Giamouridis, Daniel & Vrontos, Ioannis D., 2007. "Hedge fund portfolio construction: A comparison of static and dynamic approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 199-217, January.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.