The Role of Social Feedback in Financing of Technology Ventures
AbstractThis research examines relationship between staging of Venture Capital (VC) investments and social feedback visible in publicly available data on the Web. We address the question of Venture Capital investment sensitivity to performance and prospects of new venture, given as likelihood of obtaining future financing, available exit options and duration between investment rounds. We argue that in the case of Internet companies, publicly available social feedback data, such as search trends and website traffic information, can be used as a proxy for some of company's internal metrics such as user base growth and product adoption. In order to answer questions of interest, we compile unique dataset consisting of detailed information about Venture Capital investments in the Internet Technology sector over the period from 2004 to 2012 and associated longitudinal search trend and website traffic data. By applying methods of survival analysis, we find that positive trends in search and website traffic volumes can lead to increased likelihood of future financing and shortening of duration between subsequent financing rounds. We also find evidence that social feedback only impacts company's ability to attract next round of financing or exit via IPO, while M&A exits seem relatively independent of such performance metrics and can occur at any stage of company development. Such findings provide strong evidence in support of learning hypothesis and suggest VC's ability to identify prospects of new venture early in it's development and allocate funding accordingly. Given research also provides methodological contributions to the problem of evaluating the prospects of new startup companies using only publicly available data, and as such should be of interest in applications such as new investment screening and industry-level assessments by analysts or policy makers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1301.2196.
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-19 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bentley, R. Alexander & Ormerod, Paul, 2010. "A rapid method for assessing social versus independent interest in health issues: A case study of 'bird flu' and 'swine flu'," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 482-485, August.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2009-32 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kaplan, Andreas M. & Haenlein, Michael, 2010. "Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of Social Media," Business Horizons, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 59-68, January.
- Askitas, Nikos & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2009.
"Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4201, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nikolaos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(2), pages 107-120.
- Nikos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," Research Notes of the German Council for Social and Economic Data, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD) 41, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).
- Nikos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 899, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gompers, Paul & Kovner, Anna & Lerner, Josh & Scharfstein, David, 2008.
"Venture capital investment cycles: The impact of public markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Paul Gompers & Anna Kovner & Josh Lerner & David Scharfstein, 2005. "Venture Capital Investment Cycles: The Impact of Public Markets," NBER Working Papers 11385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Galpin, Neal & Ray, Rina & Yu, Xiaoyun, 2009. "The Role of the Media in the Internet IPO Bubble," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(03), pages 657-682, June.
- Wang, Susheng & Zhou, Hailan, 2004. "Staged financing in venture capital: moral hazard and risks," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 131-155, January.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin & Thomas Hellmann, 2007.
"The Importance of Trust for Investment: Evidence from Venture Capital,"
325, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- L. Bottazzi & M. Da Rin & T. Hellmann, 2007. "The Importance of Trust for Investment: Evidence from Venture Capital," Working Papers 612, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin & Thomas F. Hellmann, 2011. "The Importance of Trust for Investment: Evidence from Venture Capital," NBER Working Papers 16923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Li, Yong, 2008. "Duration analysis of venture capital staging: A real options perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 497-512, September.
- Wagner, S. & Cockburn, I., 2010.
"Patents and the survival of Internet-related IPOs,"
Research Policy, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 214-228, March.
- Tjalling van der Goot & Noud van Giersbergen & Michiel Botman, 2009. "What determines the survival of internet IPOs?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 547-561.
- McLaren, Nick & Shanbhogue, Rachana, 2011. "Using internet search data as economic indicators," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, Bank of England, vol. 51(2), pages 134-140.
- Cumming, Douglas J. & MacIntosh, Jeffrey G., 2001. "Venture capital investment duration in Canada and the United States," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 445-463, December.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2006. "The Venture Capital Cycle, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262572389, December.
- Demers, Elizabeth & Lewellen, Katharina, 2003. "The marketing role of IPOs: evidence from internet stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 413-437, June.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Block, Joern & Sandner, Philipp, 2009. "What is the Effect of the Current Financial Crisis on Venture Capital Financing? Empirical Evidence from US Internet Start-ups," MPRA Paper 14727, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco D’Amuri & Juri Marcucci, 2010.
"“Google it!”Forecasting the US Unemployment Rate with a Google Job Search index,"
Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei
2010.31, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- D'Amuri, Francesco/FD & Marcucci, Juri/JM, 2009. ""Google it!" Forecasting the US unemployment rate with a Google job search index," MPRA Paper 18248, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zsuzsanna Fluck & Kedran Garrison & Stewart C. Myers, 2005. "Venture Capital Contracting and Syndication: An Experiment in Computational Corporate Finance," NBER Working Papers 11624, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tian, Xuan, 2011. "The causes and consequences of venture capital stage financing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 132-159, July.
- Andrew Metrick & Ayako Yasuda, 2010. "Venture Capital and Other Private Equity: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 16652, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Alexy & Joern Block & Philipp Sandner & Anne Ter Wal, 2012. "Social capital of venture capitalists and start-up funding," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 835-851, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.