Computing Quantiles in Regime-Switching Jump-Diffusions with Application to Optimal Risk Management: a Fourier Transform Approach
AbstractIn this paper we consider the problem of calculating the quantiles of a risky position, the dynamic of which is described as a continuous time regime-switching jump-diffusion, by using Fourier Transform methods. Furthermore, we study a classical option-based portfolio strategy which minimizes the Value-at-Risk of the hedged position and show the impact of jumps and switching regimes on the optimal strategy in a numerical example. However, the analysis of this hedging strategy, as well as the computational technique for its implementation, is fairly general, i.e. it can be applied to any dynamical model for which Fourier transform methods are viable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1207.6759.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jun Pan & Darrell Duffie, 2001. "Analytical value-at-risk with jumps and credit risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 155-180.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert F. Whitelaw, 1999. "Optimal Risk Management Using Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 359-375, 02.
- Ryohei Kawata & Masaaki Kijima, 2007. "Value-at-risk in a market subject to regime switching," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 609-619.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2000. "Value-at-Risk: a multivariate switching regime approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 531-554, December.
- Young Kim & Svetlozar Rachev & Michele Bianchi & Frank Fabozzi, 2009. "Computing VAR and AVaR in Infinitely Divisible Distributions," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2569, Yale School of Management.
- Naik, Vasanttilak, 1993. " Option Valuation and Hedging Strategies with Jumps in the Volatility of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1969-84, December.
- Claudio Albanese & Ken Jackson & Petter Wiberg, 2004. "A new Fourier transform algorithm for value-at-risk," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 328-338.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.