Portfolio Selection with Small Transaction Costs and Binding Portfolio Constraints
AbstractAn investor with constant relative risk aversion and an infinite planning horizon trades a risky and a safe asset with constant investment opportunities, in the presence of small transaction costs and a binding exogenous portfolio constraint. We explicitly derive the optimal trading policy, its welfare, and implied trading volume. As an application, we study the problem of selecting a prime broker among alternatives with different lending rates and margin requirements. Moreover, we discuss how changing regulatory constraints affect the deposit rates offered for illiquid loans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1205.4588.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision: Jan 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-29 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magill, Michael J. P. & Constantinides, George M., 1976. "Portfolio selection with transactions costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 245-263, October.
- Dumas, Bernard & Luciano, Elisa, 1991. " An Exact Solution to a Dynamic Portfolio Choice Problem under Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 577-95, June.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Vila, Jean-Luc, 1992. "Optimal Dynamic Trading with Leverage Constraints," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 151-168, June.
- Loewenstein, Mark, 2000. "On optimal portfolio trading strategies for an investor facing transactions costs in a continuous trading market," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-228, March.
- J. Kallsen & J. Muhle-Karbe, 2010. "On using shadow prices in portfolio optimization with transaction costs," Papers 1010.4989, arXiv.org.
- Giuseppe Benedetti & Luciano Campi & Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2011. "On the existence of shadow prices," Working Papers hal-00645980, HAL.
- Attila Herczegh & Vilmos Prokaj, 2011. "Shadow price in the power utility case," Papers 1112.4385, arXiv.org.
- Giuseppe Benedetti & Luciano Campi & Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2011. "On the Existence of Shadow Prices," Papers 1111.6633, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
- Karel Janeček & Steven Shreve, 2004. "Asymptotic analysis for optimal investment and consumption with transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 181-206, 05.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1991. "Super contact and related optimality conditions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 675-685, October.
- Dai, Min & Jin, Hanqing & Liu, Hong, 2011. "Illiquidity, position limits, and optimal investment for mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1598-1630, July.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-62, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.