Optimal multifactor trading under proportional transaction costs
AbstractProportional transaction costs present difficult theoretical problems in trading algorithm design, on account of their lack of analytical tractability. The author derives a solution of DT-NT-DT form for an arbitrary model in which the the traded asset has diffusive dynamics described by one or more stochastic risk factors. The width of the NT zone is found to be, as expected, proportional to the cube root of the transaction cost. It is also proportional to the 2/3 power of the volatility of the target position, thereby causing a faster trading strategy to be buffered more than a slower one. The displacement of the middle of the buffer from the costfree position is found to be proportional to the square of the width, and hence to the 2/3 power of the transaction cost; the proportionality constant depends on the expected short-term change in position.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1204.6488.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. E. Whalley & P. Wilmott, 1997. "An Asymptotic Analysis of an Optimal Hedging Model for Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 307-324.
- Richard Martin & Torsten Sch\"oneborn, 2011. "Mean Reversion Pays, but Costs," Papers 1103.4934, arXiv.org.
- Nicolae B. Garleanu & Lasse H. Pedersen, 2009.
"Dynamic Trading with Predictable Returns and Transaction Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
15205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2009. "Dynamic Trading with Predictable Returns and Transaction Costs," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 7392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ren Liu & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Marko Weber, 2014. "Rebalancing with Linear and Quadratic Costs," Papers 1402.5306, arXiv.org.
- Christoph K\"uhn & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2013. "Optimal Liquidity Provision in Limit Order Markets," Papers 1309.5235, arXiv.org, revised May 2014.
- Albert Altarovici & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & H. Mete Soner, 2013. "Asymptotics for Fixed Transaction Costs," Papers 1306.2802, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2013.
- Ludovic Moreau & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & H. Mete Soner, 2014. "Trading with Small Price Impact," Papers 1402.5304, arXiv.org.
- Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2013. "The General Structure of Optimal Investment and Consumption with Small Transaction Costs," Papers 1303.3148, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.