Pricing a Contingent Claim Liability with Transaction Costs Using Asymptotic Analysis for Optimal Investment
AbstractWe price a contingent claim liability using the utility indifference argument. We consider an agent with exponential utility, who invests in a stock and a money market account with the goal of maximizing the utility of his investment at the final time T in the presence of positive proportional transaction cost in two cases with and without a contingent claim liability. Using the computations from the heuristic argument in Whalley & Wilmott we provide a rigorous derivation of the asymptotic expansion of the value function in powers of the transaction cost parameter around the known value function for the case of zero transaction cost in both cases with and without a contingent claim liability. Additionally, using utility indifference method we derive an asymptotic expansion of the price of the contingent claim liability. In both cases, we also obtain a "nearly optimal" strategy, whose expected utility asymptotically matches the leading terms of the value function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1112.3012.
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clewlow, Les & Hodges, Stewart, 1997. "Optimal delta-hedging under transactions costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1353-1376, June.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985.
" Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association,
American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984. "Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Research Program in Finance Working Papers, University of California at Berkeley 144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Magill, Michael J. P. & Constantinides, George M., 1976. "Portfolio selection with transactions costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 245-263, October.
- Dumas, Bernard & Luciano, Elisa, 1991. " An Exact Solution to a Dynamic Portfolio Choice Problem under Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 577-95, June.
- George M. Constantinides & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, .
"Bounds on Prices of Contingent Claims in an Intertemporal Economy with Proportional Transaction Costs and General Preferences,"
CRSP working papers, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago
347, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- (*), Thaleia Zariphopoulou & George M. Constantinides, 1999. "Bounds on prices of contingent claims in an intertemporal economy with proportional transaction costs and general preferences," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 345-369.
- Halil Mete Soner & Guy Barles, 1998. "Option pricing with transaction costs and a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 369-397.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-93, March.
- Freddy Delbaen & Yuri M. Kabanov & Esko Valkeila, 2002. "Hedging under Transaction Costs in Currency Markets: a Discrete-Time Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 45-61.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.