Relative and Discrete Utility Maximising Entropy
AbstractThe notion of utility maximising entropy (u-entropy) of a probability density, which was introduced and studied by Slomczynski and Zastawniak (Ann. Prob 32 (2004) 2261-2285, arXiv:math.PR/0410115 v1), is extended in two directions. First, the relative u-entropy of two probability measures in arbitrary probability spaces is defined. Then, specialising to discrete probability spaces, we also introduce the absolute u-entropy of a probability measure. Both notions are based on the idea, borrowed from mathematical finance, of maximising the expected utility of the terminal wealth of an investor. Moreover, u-entropy is also relevant in thermodynamics, as it can replace the standard Boltzmann-Shannon entropy in the Second Law. If the utility function is logarithmic or isoelastic (a power function), then the well-known notions of the Boltzmann-Shannon and Renyi relative entropy are recovered. We establish the principal properties of relative and discrete u-entropy and discuss the links with several related approaches in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0709.1281.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anne Gundel, 2005. "Robust utility maximization for complete and incomplete market models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 151-176, 04.
- Amendinger, Jürgen & Imkeller, Peter & Schweizer, Martin, 1998. "Additional logarithmic utility of an insider," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-286, July.
- Richard Rouge & Nicole El Karoui, 2000. "Pricing Via Utility Maximization and Entropy," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 259-276.
- Thomas Goll & Ludger Rüschendorf, 2001. "Minimax and minimal distance martingale measures and their relationship to portfolio optimization," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 557-581.
- Amendinger, Jürgen & Imkeller, Peter & Schweizer, Martin, 1998. "Additional logarithmic utility of an insider," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,25, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1998-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sara Biagini & Marco Frittelli, 2005. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets for unbounded processes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 493-517, October.
- Marco Frittelli, 2000. "Introduction to a theory of value coherent with the no-arbitrage principle," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 275-297.
- Ying Hu & Peter Imkeller & Matthias Muller, 2005. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets," Papers math/0508448, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.