Agricultural biotechnology's complementary intellectual assets
AbstractWe formulate and test a hypothesis for the dramatic restructuring that the plant breeding and seed industry has recently undergone: the reorganization can be explained in part by the desire to exploit complementarities between intellectual assets needed to create genetically modified organisms. This hypothesis is tested using data on agricultural biotechnology patents, notices for field tests of genetically modified organisms, and firm characteristics. The presence of complementarities is identified with a positive covariance in the unexplained variation of asset holdings. Results indicate that coordination of complementary assets has increased under the consolidation of the industry. Â© 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy in its series CUDARE Working Paper Series with number 925.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 207 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley, CA 94720-3310
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://areweb.berkeley.edu/library/Main/CUDARE
More information through EDIRC
Postal: University of California, Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics Library, 248 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley CA 94720-3310
Other versions of this item:
- Gregory D. Graff & Gordon C. Rausser & Arthur A. Small, 2003. "Agricultural Biotechnology's Complementary Intellectual Assets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 349-363, May.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Holm-Muller, Karin, 2008. "Der Internationale Vertrag Ã¼ber pflanzengenetische Ressourcen fÃ¼r ErnÃ¤hrung und Landwirtschaft â€“ ein Meilenstein zur Erleichterung der PflanzenzÃ¼chtung?," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 57(2).
- Shi, Guanming, 2004. "Bundling And Licensing Of Genes In Agricultural Biotechnology," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19913, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carlos J. Serrano, 2006.
"The Dynamics of the Transfer and Renewal of Patents,"
tecipa-227, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Carlos J. Serrano, 2010. "The dynamics of the transfer and renewal of patents," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(4), pages 686-708.
- Carlos J. Serrano, 2008. "The Dynamics of the Transfer and Renewal of Patents," NBER Working Papers 13938, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graff, Gregory & Roland-Holst, David & Zilberman, David, 2005.
"Biotechnology and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries,"
Working Paper Series
RP2005/27, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gregory Graff & David Roland Holst & David Zilberman, 2010. "Biotechnology and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries," Working Papers id:2579, eSocialSciences.
- Srinivasan, Chittur S., 2005.
"The International Trends in Plant Variety Protection,"
eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 2(2).
- C.S. Srinivasan, 2005. "The International Trends In Plant Variety Protection," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 2(2), pages 182-220.
- Oehmke, James F. & Wolf, Christopher A. & Weatherspoon, Dave D. & Naseem, Anwar & Maredia, Mywish K. & Raper, Kellie Curry & Hightower, Amie L., 1999. "Cyclical Concentration And Consolidation In Biotech R&D: A Neo-Schumpeterian Model," Staff Papers 11812, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Graff, Gregory & Roland-Holst, David & Zilberman, David, 2006. "Agricultural biotechnology and poverty reduction in low-income countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1430-1445, August.
- Cédric Schneider, 2011. "The battle for patent rights in plant biotechnology: evidence from opposition fillings," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 36(5), pages 565-579, October.
- Shi, Guanming & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2009. "On Pricing and Vertical Organization of Differentiated Products: The Case of Soybean Seed Industry," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49186, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Binenbaum, Eran, 2003. "The Intellectual Property Strategy of International Agricultural Research Centres," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57835, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Shi, Guanming & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2009. "An Analysis of Pricing in the U.S. Cotton Seed Market," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 51617, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pardey, Philip G. & Koo, Bonwoo & Nottenburg, Carol, 2004. "Creating, Protecting, And Using Crop Biotechnologies Worldwide In An Era Of Intellectual Property," Staff Papers 13600, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Eran Binenbaum, 2005. "Towards a Relational Economics," School of Economics Working Papers 2005-04, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Eran Binenbaum, 2005. "Towards a Relational Economics: Methodological Comments on Intellectual Property Strategy, Industrial Organisation, and Economics," Method and Hist of Econ Thought 0502001, EconWPA.
- Sheldon, Ian M., 2008. "The Biotechnology Sector: "Bounds" to Market Structure," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6078, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Srinivasan, C. S., 2003. "Concentration in ownership of plant variety rights: some implications for developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 519-546.
- Goodhue, Rachael E. & Rausser, Gordon C., 2003. "Value Differentiation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeff Cole).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.