Tariff-Rate Quotas and Agricultural Trade: an application to the agricultural free-trade negotiation between the MERCOSUR and the EU
AbstractIn October 2004 the European Union and the MERCOSUR tried to reach an agreement for creating what would be the world’s largest free-trade area accounting for 650 millions people. But despite five years of bilateral work to strike a deal, the two parties stayed on ropes at their meeting in Portugal the 18th of October 2004. The stumbling blocks are the MERCOSUR’s demand for a greater access to EU’s agricultural markets and the EU’s demand for expanded access for industrial goods, services and investments. Though, both partners made great efforts to comply with each other requests, it wasn’t enough. In this paper we are interested in the possible last EU’s offer to enlarge access to its market through the allocation of bilateral tariff-rate quotas for some MERCOSUR’s agricultural products namely corn, wheat, beef, poultry, swine and dairy products. Following the methodology of Elbehri and Pearson (Elbehri and R. 2000) we model bilateral tariff-rate quotas in GTAP using GEMPACK. We then, carry out our simulation to estimate the potential effects of expanding the MERCOSUR’s access to these EU’s markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by INRA, Economie Publique in its series Working Papers with number 2005/01.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: BP 01, 78850 Thiverval Grignon
Phone: 01 30 81 53 30
Fax: 01 30 81 53 68
Web page: http://www4.versailles-grignon.inra.fr/economie_publique_eng
More information through EDIRC
MERCOSUR; European Union; Agricultural trade; TRQ; GTAP;
Other versions of this item:
- Drogue, Sophie & Ramos, Maria Priscila, 2005. "Tariff-Rate Quotas and Agricultural Trade: An Application to the Agricultural Free-Trade Negotiation between the MERCOSUR and the EU," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24637, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oyewumi, Olubukola Ayodeju, 2005. "Modeling tariff rate quotas in the South African livestock industry," Master's Degree Theses 28064, University of the Free State, Department of Agricultural Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RÃ©gis Grateau).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.