Willingness to Pay for Amateur Sport and Recreation Programs
AbstractA Contingent Valuation Method (CVM) survey in Alberta, Canada allows estimation of the household willingness to pay (WTP) for enhancements in the province’s extensive sport and recreation programs. The estimated annual WTP of $18.33 per household for small enhancements in the programs far exceeds the estimated willingness to pay of households in the United States to avoid the loss of major league sports teams, as determined in previous CVM studies. Those opposed to gambling, which helps to fund the Alberta programs, are more likely to favor using income taxes to finance expansions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Appalachian State University in its series Working Papers with number 06-14.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Thelma C. Raley Hall, Boone, North Carolina 28608
Web page: http://www.business.appstate.edu/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead & Daniel S. Mason & Gordon J. Walker, 2007. "Willingness To Pay For Amateur Sport And Recreation Programs," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(4), pages 553-564, October.
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-11-18 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-SPO-2006-11-18 (Sports & Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2006-11-18 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BK. Johnson & JC. Whitehead, 2000. "Value of public goods from sports stadiums: the CVM approach," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 48-58, 01.
- Michael Y. Seelig & Julie H. Seelig, 1998. ""Place Your Bets!" On Gambling, Government and Society," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(1), pages 91-106, March.
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2001.
"The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team: The CVM Approach,"
Journal of Sports Economics,
, vol. 2(1), pages 6-21, February.
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2000. "“The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team: The CVM Approach,”," Working Papers 0014, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2003. "Professional Sports Facilities, Franchises and Urban Economic Development," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 03-103, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Wicker, Pamela & Prinz, Joachim & von Hanau, Tassilo, 2012. "Estimating the value of national sporting success," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 200-210.
- Brad R. Humphreys & Bruce K. Johnson & Daniel S. Mason & John C. Whitehead, 2011.
"Estimating the Value of Medal Success at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games,"
11-20, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Humphreys, Brad & Johnson, Bruce & Mason, Daniel & Whitehead, John, 2011. "Estimating the Value of Medal Success at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games," Working Papers 2011-20, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Kiefer, Stephanie, 2014. "Are riding club members willing to pay or work for an overall quality improvement?," Discussion Papers of the Institute for Organisational Economics 1/2014, University of Münster, Institute for Organisational Economics.
- Wicker, Pamela & Kiefer, Stephanie & Dilger, Alexander, 2013. "The value of sporting success to Germans: Comparing the 2012 UEFA Championships with the 2012 Olympics," Discussion Papers of the Institute for Organisational Economics 11/2013, University of Münster, Institute for Organisational Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (O. Ashton Morgan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.