The Equivalence of Panel Data Estimators under Orthogonal Experimental Design
AbstractThis paper demonstrates the equivalence between pooled OLS, Fixed Effects, and Random Effects estimates when applied to data generated from an orthogonal experimental design under certain conditions. We show that the point estimates of the treatment effects are identical between these three panel data estimators but that the estimated standard errors differ. Specifically, the estimated variance covariance matrices are identical between FE and RE but differ from that of OLS. Despite the equivalence it is meaningful to test for OLS vs FE/RE because the error distributional assumptions are different.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Appalachian State University in its series Working Papers with number 05-07.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Thelma C. Raley Hall, Boone, North Carolina 28608
Web page: http://www.business.appstate.edu/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-06-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Geisler, Iris, 2003. "Fixed effects models with time invariant variables: a theoretical note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 373-377, September.
- Subhasish Dugar & Todd Sorensen, 2006. "Hassle Costs, Price-Matching Guarantees and Price Competition: An Experiment," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 359-378, June.
- David L. Dickinson & Ronald L. Oaxaca, 2009.
"Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 16-31, July.
- David Dickinson & Ronald Oaxaca, 2004. "Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 2004-04, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Dickinson, David & Oaxaca, Ronald L., 2006. "Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 2305, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Dickinson & Ronald Oaxaca, 2005. "Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 05-11, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Morawetz, Ulrich B. & De Groote, Hugo & Kimenju, Simon Chege, 2011. "Improving the Use of Experimental Auctions in Africa: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(2), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (O. Ashton Morgan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.