Residential energy demand in Australia: an application of dynamic OLS
AbstractThis paper reports estimates of the long-run elasticities of residential demand for electricity, natural gas and other fuels for Australia. The dynamic OLS (DOLS) framework is used to estimate logarithmic demand equations with previously unpublished national-level quarterly data. Significant substitution possibilities are found between electricity and gas and between electricity and other fuels. However, the cross-price elasticity of gas with respect to the price of residual fuels is negative. Our results are similar to other Australian and North American estimates but are more theoretically consistent than previous Australian estimates. We confirm that Australian residential energy demand is much more price responsive than North American residential energy demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian National University, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Ecological Economics Program in its series Working Papers in Ecological Economics with number 0104.
Date of creation: Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://incres.anu.edu.au/EEP/wp.html
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tom Doan, . "SWDOLS: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using dynamic OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00207, Boston College Department of Economics.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 1998.
"The theoretical and empirical structure of the G-Cubed model,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 123-148, January.
- W. J. McKibbin & P. J. Wilcoxen, . "The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model," Discussion Papers 118, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- McKibbin, W.J. & Wilcoxen, P.J., 1995. "The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model," Papers 118, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Goldschmidt, Peter, 1988. "Domestic appliance energy usage in Western Australia," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Bartels, Robert & Fiebig, Denzil G & Nahm, Daehoon, 1996. "Regional End-Use Gas Demand in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(219), pages 319-31, December.
- Dumagan, Jesus C. & Mount, Timothy D., 1993.
"Welfare effects of improving end-use efficiency: Theory and application to residential electricity demand,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 175-201, June.
- Dumagan, Jesus C. & Mount, Timothy D., 1992. "Welfare Effects Of Improving End-Use Efficiency: Theory And Application To Residential Electricity Demand," Working Papers 128113, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- David L. Ryan & Yu Wang & Andre Plourde, 1996. "Asymmetric Price Responses of Residential Energy Demand in Ontario," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 317-23, April.
- Hawkins, R G, 1975. "The Demand for Electricity: A Cross-section Study of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 51(133), pages 1-18, March.
- BAUWENS, Luc & FIEBIG, Denzil & STEEL, Mark, 1992.
"Estimating End-Use Demand : A Bayesian Approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1992052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Bartels, R. & Fiebig, D.G., 1990.
"Integrating Direct Metering And Conditional Demand Analysis Fr Estimating End-Use Loads,"
9056, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Robert Bartels & G. Fiebig, 1990. "Integrating Direct Metering and Conditional Demand Analysis for Estimating End-Use Loads," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 79-98.
- Bartels, R. & Fiebig, D., 1990. "Integrating Direct Metering and Conditional Demand Analysis for Estimating End-Use Loads," Discussion Paper 1990-56, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fiebig, Denzil G. & Bartels, Robert & Aigner, Dennis J., 1991. "A random coefficient approach to the estimation of residential end-use load profiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 297-327, December.
- Robert Bartels & Denzil G. Fiebig, 2000. "Residential End-Use Electricity Demand: Results from a Designed Experiment," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 51-81.
- Donnelly, W. A. & Diesendorf, M., 1985. "Variable elasticity models for electricity demand," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 159-162, July.
- Donnelly, W A & Saddler, H D W, 1984. "The Retail Demand for Electricity in Tasmania," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(42), pages 52-60, June.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Rushdi, Ali Ahmed, 1986. "Interfuel substitution in the residential sector of South Australia," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 177-185, July.
- W. A. Donnelly, 1984. "Residential Electricity Demand Modeling in the Australian Capital Territory: Preliminary Results," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 119-132.
- Nababan, Tongam Sihol & Simanjuntak, Juara, 2008.
"Aplikasi Willingness To Pay Sebagai Proksi Terhadap Variabel Harga: Suatu Model Empirik Dalam Estimasi Permintaan Energi Listrik Rumah Tangga
[The Application of Willingness To Pay As A Proxy To Va," MPRA Paper 49155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chandan, Sharma & Bhanumurthy, N R, 2010.
"Estimating Infrastructural Investment Needs for India,"
22188, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chandan Sharma & N.R. Bhanumurthy, 2011. "Estimating Infrastructural Investment Needs for India," Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research, National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 5(2), pages 221-243, May.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2005. "The residential demand for electricity in Australia: an application of the bounds testing approach to cointegration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 467-474, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jack Pezzey) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jack Pezzey to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.