The structure of the labour market, telecommuting, and optimal peak period congestion tolls: a numerical optimisation model
AbstractThis paper develops a numerical optimisation model to study optimal labour and peak-period congestion taxes under different assumptions on the structure of the labour market. We consider both a competitive labour market and various wage bargaining models, in which wages are determined via negotiations between firms and labour unions. All models include commuting and non-commuting transport, and they allow for telecommuting. The models are numerically implemented using Belgian data. We find that wage bargaining models may imply higher or lower congestion tolls on peak period car traffic compared to competitive labour markets, depending on the response of unions to transport issues and the composition of the traffic flow. If unions care about the effect of congestion and congestion tolls on their members’ well being, we find the optimal congestion toll for the wage bargaining model to be 15%-20% lower than under competitive labour market conditions. However, if unions do not care about their members’ transport problems when negotiating about wages and employment, then the optimal congestion tax is up to 50% higher under bargaining than under competition. We further find that the optimal tax structure results in substantially more telecommuting for all labour market structures considered. Finally, improving the efficiency of telecommuting results in a considerable reduction in optimal congestion tolls.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2010013.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- De Borger, Bruno & Wuyts, Bart, 2011. "The structure of the labor market, telecommuting, and optimal peak period congestion tolls: A numerical optimization model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 426-438, September.
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2010-07-24 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2010-07-24 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2010-07-24 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Creedy, John & McDonald, Ian M, 1991. "Models of Trade Union Behaviour: A Synthesis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 67(199), pages 346-59, December.
- Bruno De Borger & Kurt Van Dender, 2002.
"Transport tax reform, commuting and endogenous values of time,"
Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series
ete0207, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- De Borger, Bruno & Van Dender, Kurt, 2003. "Transport tax reform, commuting, and endogenous values of time," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 510-530, May.
- De Borger Bruno & Van Dender Katrien, 2003. "Transport tax reform, commuting and endogenous values of time," Working Papers 2003004, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Ory, David T. & Mokhtarian, Patricia L., 2005. "When is getting there half the fun? Modeling the liking for travel," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 97-123.
- Gutiérrez-i-Puigarnau, Eva & van Ommeren, Jos N., 2010.
"Labour supply and commuting,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 82-89, July.
- Gutiérrez-i-Puigarnau, Eva & van Ommeren, Jos, 2010. "Labour Supply and Commuting," IZA Discussion Papers 4798, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eva Gutiérrez-i-Puigarnau & Jos van Ommeren, 2009. "Labour Supply and Commuting," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 222, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Parry, Ian & Bento, Antonio, 1999.
"Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing,"
dp-99-45, Resources For the Future.
- Parry, Ian W H & Bento, Antonio, 2001. " Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 645-71, December.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Bento, Antonio Miguel R., 1999. "Revenue recycling and the welfare effects of road pricing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2253, The World Bank.
- Páez, Antonio & Whalen, Kate, 2010. "Enjoyment of commute: A comparison of different transportation modes," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 537-549, August.
- Jon Strand, 1999.
"Efficient Environmental Taxation Under Worker-Firm Bargaining,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(2), pages 125-141, March.
- Strand, J., 1995. "Efficient Environmental Taxation Under Worker-Firm Bargaining," Memorandum 19/1995, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Gerard de Jong & Hugh Gunn, 2001. "Recent Evidence on Car Cost and Time Elasticities of Travel Demand in Europe," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(2), pages 137-160, May.
- Schneider, Kerstin, 1997. " Involuntary Unemployment and Environmental Policy: The Double Dividend Hypothesis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 45-49, March.
- Inge Mayeres & Stef Proost, 1998.
"Marginal Tax Reform, Externalities and Income Distribution,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9832, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef, 2001. "Marginal tax reform, externalities and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 343-363, February.
- Bayindir-Upmann, Thorsten & Raith, Matthias G., 2003. "Should high-tax countries pursue revenue-neutral ecological tax reforms?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 41-60, February.
- Van Ommeren, Jos & Rietveld, Piet, 2005. "The commuting time paradox," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 437-454, November.
- Safirova, Elena, 2002. "Telecommuting, traffic congestion, and agglomeration: a general equilibrium model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 26-52, July.
- Borck, Rainald & Wrede, Matthias, 2005.
"Political economy of commuting subsidies,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 478-499, May.
- Rainald Borck & Matthias Wrede, 2004. "Political Economy of Commuting Subsidies," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 445, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Rainald Borck & Matthias Wrede, 2004. "Political Economy of Commuting Subsidies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1339, CESifo Group Munich.
- de Graaff, Thomas & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Substitution between working at home and out-of-home: The role of ICT and commuting costs," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 142-160, February.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Kurt Van Dender, 2003. "Transport Taxes with Multiple Trip Purposes," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 295-310, 06.
- De Borger B., 2006. "Commuting, congestion tolls and noncompetitive labour markets: optimal congestion pricing in a wage bargaining model," Working Papers 2006014, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Keeler, Theodore E & Small, Kenneth A, 1977. "Optimal Peak-Load Pricing, Investment, and Service Levels on Urban Expressways," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Russo, Antonio, 2012. "Pricing of Transport Networks, Redistribution and Optimal Taxation," TSE Working Papers 12-353, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.