Export intensity and the competitive intelligence of exporting companies: evidence from Belgium and South Africa
AbstractThe present paper investigates into the relationship between Competitive Intelligence (CI) factors, characteristics, information sources, needs, requirements and the export intensity of exporting companies in two distinct samples (Flanders and South Africa). We establish whether there are significant differences between firms, grouped according to export intensity with respect to awareness, use, information sources and attitude towards CI activities. A questionnaire was developed and sent to exporting firms, resulting in a usable sample of 309 South African and 295 Flemish respondents. These firms are grouped according to export intensity, and CI practices between groups are compared. In contrast with some distinct cross-country differences, in both Flanders and South Africa, export intensive firms appear to be more aware and supportive of CI activities than less export intensive firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2006023.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-10-20 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2007-10-20 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ursic, Michael L. & Czinkota, Michael R., 1984. "An experience curve explanation of export expansion," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 159-168, June.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Theodosiou, Marios, 2004. "The export marketing information system: an integration of the extant knowledge," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Finn Wiedersheim-Paul & Hans C Olson & Lawrence S Welch, 1978. "Pre-Export Activity: The First step in Internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 47-58, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.