Evaluating Implications of Agricultural Policies in a Rural Region through a CGE Analysis
AbstractThis paper aims to analyse economic and social effects produced by changes in agricultural policy on an Italian "significantly rural" region, the Marche region. To this aim, a regional CGE model based on a 2004 SAM, constructed for this purpose, has been applied. Two policy scenarios have been analysed: total removal of price support and full decoupling. Results suggest that price support has indeed sustained agricultural output but has limited growth potentialities of the region. Moreover, it turned out that decoupling partly removes obstacles to a higher allocative efficiency and favours an improvement in income distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali in its series Working Papers with number 328.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Common Agricultural Policy; Social Accounting Matrix; policy impact; regional CGE model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-01-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2009-01-24 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2009-01-24 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001.
"Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000. "Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods," TMD discussion papers 58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- A. T. Flegg & C. D. Webber, 2000. "Regional Size, Regional Specialization and the FLQ Formula," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 563-569.
- Balamou, Eudokia & Pouliaikas, Kostas & Roberts, Deborah & Psaltopoulos, Demetrios, 2008. "Modeling The Rural-Urban Effects Of Changes In Agricultural Policies: A Bi-Regional Cge Analysis Of Two Case Study Regions," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6651, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Antonello LOBIANCO, 2005.
"Modelling the Impact of 2003 CAP Reform on Crop Production. The Case of Durum Wheat in Italy,"
232, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Esposti, Roberto & Lobianco, Antonello, 2005. "Modelling the Impact of 2003 CAP Reform on Crop Production: The case of Durum Wheat in Italy," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(1), January.
- Andrea Bonfiglio & Francesco Chelli, 2008. "Assessing the Behaviour of Non-Survey Methods for Constructing Regional Input-Output Tables through a Monte Carlo Simulation," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 243-258.
- Gelan, Ayele & Schwarz, Gerald, 2006. "A Policy Impact Evaluation Model For Scotland: Decoupling Single Farm Payments," MPRA Paper 1491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A. T. Flegg & C. D. Webber, 1997. "On the Appropriate Use of Location Quotients in Generating Regional Input-Output Tables: Reply," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 795-805.
- Eralba CELA & Tineke FOKKEMA & Elena AMBROSETTI, 2012. "Links Between Transnationalism Integration and Duration of Residence: The Case of eastern European Migrants in Italy," Working Papers 386, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.