Identification of Covariance Structures
AbstractThe issue of identification of covariance structures, which arises in a number of different contexts, has been so far linked to conditions on the true parameters to be estimated. In this paper, this limitation is removed. As done by Johansen (1995) in the context of linear models, the present paper provides necessary and sufficient conditions for the identification of a covariance structure that depend only on the constraints, and can therefore be checked independently of estimated parameters. A sufficient condition is developed, which only depends on the structure of the constraints. It is shown that this structure condition, if coupled with the familiar order condition, provides a sufficient condition for identification. In practice, since the structure condition holds if and only if a certain matrix, constructed from the constraint matrices, is invertible, automatic software checking for identification is feasible even for large-scale systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali in its series Working Papers with number 214.
Date of creation: Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Identifying restrictions of linear equations with applications to simultaneous equations and cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 111-132, September.
- Lisandro Abrego & Pär Österholm, 2010.
"External Linkages and Economic Growth in Colombia: Insights from a Bayesian VAR Model,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(12), pages 1788-1810, December.
- PÃ¤r Ã–sterholm & Lisandro Abrego, 2008. "External Linkages and Economic Growth in Colombia: Insights from A Bayesian VAR Model," IMF Working Papers 08/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Caporin Massimiliano & Paruolo Paolo, 2005. "Spatial effects in multivariate ARCH," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0501, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Par Osterholm, 2008. "A structural Bayesian VAR for model-based fan charts," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 40(12), pages 1557-1569.
- Meredith Beechey & P�R �Sterholm, 2008. "A Bayesian Vector Autoregressive Model with Informative Steady-state Priors for the Australian Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(267), pages 449-465, December.
- Renato BALDUCCI, 2005. "Public Expenditure and Economic Growth. A critical extension of Barro's (1990) model," Working Papers 240, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Roberto ESPOSTI, 2007. "On the Decline of Agriculture. Evidence from Italian Regions in the Post-WWII Period," Working Papers 300, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2005. "Price, Private Demand and Optimal Provision of Public R&D in Italian Agriculture," Working Papers 238, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Stefania BUSSOLETTI & Roberto ESPOSTI, 2004. "Regional Convergence, Structural Funds and the Role of Agricolture in the EU. A Panel-Data Approach," Working Papers 220, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.