Horizontal innovation, market power and growth
AbstractIn this paper, we build a general model of horizontal product innovation and economic development, taking explicitely into account the most relevant insights stemming from the recent literature on this topic. What results from our analysis is that, when innovation is both deterministic and horizontal, the relationship between market power and aggregate growth is not robust at all. We also find that not only technology, but also the intersectoral competition for human capital, matters for growth. This is particularly relevant in terms of public policies aimed at the strategic allocation of skilled workers to the different sectors of the economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali in its series Working Papers with number 120.
Date of creation: Oct 1999
Date of revision:
Endogenous Growth; Horizontal Product Differentiation; Market Power; Technological Change;
Other versions of this item:
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ugo Fratesi, 2003.
"Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p327, European Regional Science Association.
- Ugo FRATESI, 2003. "Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities," Working Papers 186, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003.
"R&D, Imperfect Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 417-439, 09.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003. "R&D, imperfect competition and growth with human capital accumulation," Departmental Working Papers 2003-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto BUCCI, 2002. "Market Power, Human Capital and Growth," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2002012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Alberto BUCCI, 2004. "Human capital, product market power and economic growth," Departmental Working Papers 2004-21, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Nicola MATTEUCCI & Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 2003. "ICT and Employment Growth in Italian Industries," Working Papers 193, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.