Competizione sui mercati internazionali e misure del potere di mercato. Il caso dell'industria italiana dell'elettrodomestico
AbstractStarting from the Baker-Bresanahan (1988) seminal paper, an extended version of their econometric technique is implemented for estimating the residual demand curve a group of exporters faces in a particular export market. The elasticity of the exporters' residual demand curve is identified by exchange rates shocks that rotate the supply relation of the exporters competitors located in other countries. I apply this approach to the measurement of market power of Italian "white goods" manufacturers in the European market. The main result is that the "residual demand approach" provides estimates of market power sufficiently consistent with other indicators of competition (i.e. market shares), even if results are not so clearcut when there is a role for product specificity and the geographical location of competitors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali in its series Working Papers with number 118.
Date of creation: Aug 1999
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L68 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Appliances; Furniture; Other Consumer Durables
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicola MATTEUCCI & Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 2003. "ICT and Employment Growth in Italian Industries," Working Papers 193, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Ugo FRATESI, 2003.
"Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities,"
186, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Ugo Fratesi, 2003. "Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities," ERSA conference papers ersa03p327, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.