Rischio e concorrenza nel sistema bancario italiano durante la crisi finanziaria globale
AbstractIn questo lavoro, analizziamo il rapporto tra il rischio e la concorrenza nel sistema bancario italiano durante il periodo dal 2006 al 2010. Utilizzando stimatori OLS e panel, stimiamo l'impatto dell'indice di Lerner, una misura del potere di mercato della banca, sullo Z-score di Altman, una proxy della probabilita' d'insolvenza della banca. I risultati sono coerenti con il paradigma tradizionale dal charter-value e rifiutano il modello del risk-shifting proposto da Boyd-De Nicolo' (2005). Inoltre, mostriamo che durante la crisi il legame concorrenza-rischio Š divenuto ancora piu' stringente. I nostri risultati sono robusti a diverse definizioni di crisi e a diverse specificazioni.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences in its series Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers with number 86.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8 6012 Ancona
Phone: +39 071 220 7083
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://sites.google.com/site/mofirunivpm/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel, 1993. "On the testing of correlated effects with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 87-97, September.
- Stefania De Mitri & Giorgio Gobbi & Enrico Sette, 2010.
"Relationship lending in a financial turmoil,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
772, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2004.
"Competition and financial stability,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 453-486.
- Soedarmono, Wahyoe & Machrouh, Fouad & Tarazi, Amine, 2013.
"Bank competition, crisis and risk taking: Evidence from emerging markets in Asia,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 196-221.
- Wahyoe Soedarmono & Fouad Machrouh & Amine Tarazi, 2012. "Bank Competition, Crisis and Risk-Taking: Evidence from Emerging Markets in Asia," Working Papers hal-00918500, HAL.
- Astrid A. Dick, 2006. "Nationwide Branching and Its Impact on Market Structure, Quality, and Bank Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 567-592, March.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Wolf Wagner, 2010.
"Loan Market Competition and Bank Risk-Taking,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 71-81, February.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2010.
"Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: Is it quantity or quality that matters?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1529-1545, December.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2005. "Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: is it quantity or quality that matters?," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2003. "Deregulation, market power and risk behaviour in Spanish banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1061-1075, December.
- Andrea F. Presbitero & Gregory F. Udell & Alberto Zazzaro, 2014.
"The Home Bias and the Credit Crunch: A Regional Perspective,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(s1), pages 53-85, 02.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Gregory F. Udell & Alberto Zazzaro, 2012. "The Home Bias and the Credit Crunch: A Regional Perspective," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 60, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Allen Berger & Leora Klapper & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2009.
"Bank Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 99-118, April.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2006.
"Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125498, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Boyd, John H. & Runkle, David E., 1993. "Size and performance of banking firms : Testing the predictions of theory," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 47-67, February.
- Jayaratne, Jith & Strahan, Philip E, 1998. "Entry Restrictions, Industry Evolution, and Dynamic Efficiency: Evidence from Commercial Banking," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 239-73, April.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2008.
"Bank Governance, Regulation, and Risk Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
14113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sven Schreiber, 2008. "The Hausman Test Statistic can be Negative even Asymptotically," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(4), pages 394-405, August.
- Martinez-Miera, David & Repullo, Rafael, 2008.
"Does Competition Reduce the Risk of Bank Failure?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elijah Brewer, III & Marc R. Saidenberg, 1996. "Franchise value, ownership structure, and risk at savings institutions," Research Paper 9632, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Michele Fratianni & Francesco Marchionne, 2010. "Banks’ Great Bailout of 2008-2009," Working Papers 2010-03, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Claudia M. Buch & Cathérine T. Koch & Michael Koetter, 2013.
"Do Banks Benefit from Internationalization? Revisiting the Market Power--Risk Nexus,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 17(4), pages 1401-1435.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koch, Cathérine Tahmee & Koetter, Michael, 2010. "Do banks benefit from internationalization? Revisiting the market power-risk nexus," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2010,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kick, Thomas & Prieto, Esteban, 2013.
"Bank Risk Taking and Competition: Evidence from Regional Banking Markets,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
79919, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Kick, Thomas & Prieto, Esteban, 2013. "Bank risk taking and competition: Evidence from regional banking markets," Discussion Papers 30/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V, 1993. "Self-Interested Bank Regulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 206-12, May.
- Hong Liu & Philip Molyneux & Linh H. Nguyen, 2012. "Competition and risk in South East Asian commercial banking," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(28), pages 3627-3644, October.
- Klaus Schaeck & Martin Cihak & Simon Wolfe, 2009. "Are Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(4), pages 711-734, 06.
- Beck, Thorsten & De Jonghe, Olivier & Schepens, Glenn, 2013.
"Bank competition and stability: Cross-country heterogeneity,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 218-244.
- T. Beck & O. De Jonghe & G. Schepens, 2011. "Bank competition and stability: cross-country heterogeneity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/732, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
- Angelini, Paolo & Cetorelli, Nicola, 2003. " The Effects of Regulatory Reform on Competition in the Banking Industry," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(5), pages 663-84, October.
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2005.
"Lending Booms and Lending Standards,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Bonis, Riccardo & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco & Stacchini, Massimiliano, 2012. "The Italian banking system: Facts and interpretations," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp12068, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.