Houshold Aggregate Wealth In The Main OECD Countries From 1980 To 2011: What Do The Data Tell Us?
AbstractThis paper analyses aggregate household wealth in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, the UK and the US. Building on a new data set for the time span 1980-2011, we discuss the trends in household financial assets in the last thirty years, the reasons for differences across countries, the tendency towards convergence, the economic interpretation of breaks in time series and the effects of the recent financial crisis. We also comment on the evolution of household debt and real assets. In discussing the empirical evidence, the paper summarises some of the recent literature on household wealth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences in its series Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers with number 82.
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8 6012 Ancona
Phone: +39 071 220 7083
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://sites.google.com/site/mofirunivpm/
More information through EDIRC
financial systems; household wealth and debt;
Other versions of this item:
- Riccardo De Bonis & Daniele Fano & Teresa Sbano, 2013. "Household aggregate wealth in the main OECD countries from 1980 to 2011: what do the data tell us?," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 160, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-05-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2013-05-11 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2013-05-11 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alain de Serres & Florian Pelgrin, 2002.
"The Decline in Private Saving Rates in the 1990s in OECD Countries: How Much Can be Explained by Non-Wealth Determinants?,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
344, OECD Publishing.
- Florian Pelgrin & Alain de Serres, 2003. "The Decline in Private Saving Rates in the 1990s in OECD Countries: How Much Can Be Explained by Non-wealth Determinants?," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(1), pages 117-153.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2012.
"The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 409-425, March.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2010. "The Effects of Financial and Real Wealth on Consumption: New Evidence from OECD Countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 38, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2011. "The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 837, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bruno, Giuseppe & De Bonis, Riccardo & Silvestrini, Andrea, 2012. "Do financial systems converge? New evidence from financial assets in OECD countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 141-155.
- Giuseppe Bruno & Riccardo De Bonis, 2009.
"Do financial systems converge? New evidence from household financial assets in selected OECD countries,"
IFC Bulletins chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Measuring financial innovation and its impact", Basel, 26-27 August 2008, volume 31, pages 383-401
Bank for International Settlements.
- Giuseppe Bruno & Riccardo De Bonis, 2009. "Do Financial Systems Converge?: New Evidence from Household Financial Assets in Selected OECD Countries," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2009/1, OECD Publishing.
- Riccardo Bonci & Grazia Marchese & Andrea Neri, 2005. "Financial wealth in the financial accounts and in the Survey of Household Income and Wealth," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 565, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.