An Empirical Analysis Of The Demand For Wholesale Pork Primals: Seasonality And Structural Change
AbstractA set of inverse wholesale pork primal demand models were estimated to estimate wholesale pork primal own-quantity flexibility's, to determine seasonal price fluctuations, and to examine whether the flexibility's have changed in absolute magnitude over time. Results of this analysis indicate that there is the own-quantity flexibility for some primals differences by season with in the year. Additionally, it was determined that the own-quantity flexibility increased in magnitude (absolute value) over time for some of the primal cuts evaluated here. However, for Hams and Boston Butt the own-flexibility was either unchanged or increased over the period analyzed. Increased cold storage stocks for these primals may have been used to offset the price decline of 1998.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia with number 36343.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Wholesale Pork Primals; Structural Change; Seasonality; Demand and Price Analysis; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Farris, Donald E. & Byrne, Patrick J. & Namken, Jerry C. & Lambert, Charles D., 1994. "Determinants Of Wholesale Beef-Cut Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Fox, John A., 2001.
"Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2000. "Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36409, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- McGuirk, Anya M. & Driscoll, Paul J. & Alwang, Jeffrey Roger & Huang, Huilin, 1995. "System Misspecification Testing And Structural Change In The Demand For Meats," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Tomek, William G., 2000. "Implications Of Deflating Commodity Prices For Time-Series Analysis," 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois 18944, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.