Value Of Increasing Kernel Uniformity
AbstractKernel size uniformity is an important physical quality attribute in terms of processing efficiency, quality control, and milling yield. This study developed optimal grain sorting strategies for elevators to use to increase kernel size uniformity and determined the size of potential benefits from sorting. Cluster analysis and global optimization were used to sort grain loads to increase kernel size uniformity. Cluster analysis and global optimization increased the percent flour yield relative to no sorting by 0.13% and 0.32% respectively. Cluster analysis and global optimization increased the daily milling income relative to no sorting by 105 dollars (5%) and 266 dollars (13%) respectively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah with number 36106.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hennessy, David A. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997.
"Discount Schedules and Grower Incentives in Grain Marketing,"
Staff General Research Papers
10672, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy & Thomas I. Wahl, 1997. "Discount Schedules and Grower Incentives in Grain Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 888-901.
- Adam, Brian D. & Kenkel, Philip L. & Anderson, Kim B., 1994. "The Economics Of Cleaning Winter Wheat For Export: An Evaluation Of Proposed Federal "Clean Grain" Standards," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Johnson, D. Demcey & Wilson, William W., 1993.
"Wheat Cleaning Decisions At Country Elevators,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Hennessy, David A., 1996. "Economics of Purifying and Blending, The," Staff General Research Papers 5261, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sivaraman, Eswar & Lyford, Conrad P. & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2002. "A General Framework For Grain Blending And Segregation," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 20(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.