Japanese Demand For Wheat Characteristics: A Market Share Approach
AbstractThis research took from the work of Kohli and Morey in the economics literature to apply a quality derived market share demand function to the international wheat market. Specifically, a Japanese wheat import demand market share model was derived using data for Hard Red Winter, Hard Red Spring, Canadian Western Red Spring, and Australian Standard White wheat. Results indicate that the four wheat classes analyzed here are relatively good substitutes for each other, the own-price elasticity for each wheat class is elastic, and the own-characteristic Protein elasticity for Hard Red Winter 13% protein wheat increased over the period analyzed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah with number 36103.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Crop Production/Industries; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Stiegert, Kyle W., 1998. "Competition For U.S. Hard Wheat Characteristics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Wilson, William W., 1986. "Competition in the International Wheat Market," Agricultural Economics Reports 23326, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Kohli, Ulrich & Morey, Edward R, 1988. "U.S. Imports by Origin: A Characteristics Approach," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 51-74.
- Wilson, William W., 1994. "Demand For Wheat Classes By Pacific Rim Countries," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Stiegert, Kyle W. & Blanc, Jean-Pierre, 1997. "Japanese Demand For Wheat Protein Quantity And Quality," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Wilson, William W., 1989. "Differentiation And Implicit Prices In Export Wheat Markets," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.