The Determinants of Rural Household Food Security for Landless Households of the Punjab, Pakistan
AbstractThis paper examines the situation of food security for the landless rural households of the Punjab province in Pakistan. Primary data from 576 landless households were collected from 12 districts of the province. About 27% of the sample households were measured to be food insecure. Household’s monthly income and household head’s education levels of middle and intermediate were positively impacting household food security. On the other hand, household heads’ age and family size were negatively associated with household food security. Rural household food security can be improved by focussing on education, creation of income generating opportunities and family planning programs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics in its series Working Papers with number 126035.
Date of creation: 21 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
landless households; determinants; food security; rural areas; Punjab; Pakistan; Agricultural and Food Policy; Community/Rural/Urban Development; Consumer/Household Economics; Food Security and Poverty; I30; Q18 and R20.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- and - - - - - -
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-07-08 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-07-08 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sidhu, R.S. & Kaur, Inderpreet & Vatta, Kamal, 2008. "Food and Nutritional Insecurity and its Determinants in Food Surplus Areas: The Case Study of Punjab State," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(1), June.
- Bashir, Muhammad Khalid & Schilizzi, Steven & Pandit, Ram, 2012. "The Determinants of Rural Household Food Security in the Punjab, Pakistan: An Econometric Analysis," Working Papers 122526, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.